Monday, June 4, 2012

The Striper Quest Continues

Been fishing for shad these past couple of mornings. Sunday morning 6/3/12 I picked up Ethan and we took off and got on the water around 0500. First couple of cast Ethan slams his first shad of the morning.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


And for the first few hours of the morning the shad bite was just on fire.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Bendo all morning, Shad pull hard!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


You all know what I'm really after though, but all morning we were busting some nice sized males and even bigger females. No good bait sized fish yet.

Then around 0730 Ethan and I double up and I get the fish I need.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Fish must have been only 8 inches long, perfect striper candy.

I threw him out there and waited. Shortly later after trying on every outing for the past month I finally get a pick up. I let him run and run and recently people have told me that I need to wait until the fish stops till I set the hook, so I waited till my line stopped running, I set the hook, but it turned out the striper dropped my shad and was gone. Damn, opportunity lost.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This was my shad after the striper took off with him.

Knowing I did something wrong I asked the one person I know who has done this successfully a few times, Guppy. He told me to set the hook roughly 30 seconds after the start of the run.

We caught a few shad after my run, but my striper never came back. Ethan and I landed roughly 15 shad each by 0930. Had to leave to go to work.

Next day I had to get back out to get another shot at that striper. Picked up Ethan again and got to the ramp around 0430 today. Brought the pontoon out today to maybe get in some better lanes for a better shot at the striper. We ran around looking for shad though first. Took a little bit, but we crossed right over the top off of a school a couple hundred shad and we saw about a 30lb striper right on their asses. Dropped anchor and threw out jigs out. The water was only about 3ft deep so we could see everything that was around. School of shad would come by, we would drop out jigs in front of them and watch them slam the jigs it was a load of fun.

Ethan got a bait sized fish first though, he hooked him up threw him out and man it was a matter of about 30 seconds before that momma striper picked him up and it was on. Ethan just said oh yea here we go, I looked over he slammed the hook and we got a fish on!!!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


We pulled anchor and got ready for the chase. The fish runs all the way across the river and then a fisherman's worst feeling ever, Ethan's line snapped. NOOO!!!! man another opportunity lost. Ethan sat down in aw for about 30 mins unable to function because of the shock of losing that fish. after a while he got back up though and we were back on the shad looking for a second chance. Because we were sight fishing and all we wanted was that striper we would watch big female shad grab our jigs and not set the hook because we simply did not want to deal with the long fight they would put up right now we only wanted bait.

I got one around 12 inches. A little big but I need to get a bait out there. After I dropped him out I moved the toon back and forth across the river to cover as much water as possible. Sure enough I got picked up, but he only ran for about 5 seconds and dropped my shad. Don't know why but that was it. We had live shad out for the rest of the morning. Had to leave at 0930.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting that striper. Its gonna happen soon I've got a feeling.

Till Then Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment