Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Opener 7/16-7/18

July 16th Ethan and I we dieing to fish the opener in hopes of an early fish. Woke up early and hit my honey hole on the sac. Arrived on the scene at 0530 and tossed out my kwikfish and threw spinners. Saw lots of small jacks jumping around, but none wanted to bite. Half way through the morning Garrett sends me a picture of a salmon he got on the AR which was cool to see one caught on the opener. Left the sac around 0900 skunked, but was happy to see all of the activity around.

The next day Ethan couldn't take it he had to go up to try the AR with Garrett. He said he would drive so I said screw it why not. First ones on the water at 0440. got everything set up while we waited for it to be legal to fish. Tried a couple of different spots before we met up with Garrett. Most places though was nothing but snag city and we ended up losing a lot of gear. We tried plunking some kwikfish in a few area's as well. Ethan tossed out a K-11 and maybe 5 seconds after it hit bottom it got hammered and he was hooked up!


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Sweet were gonna get our first fish of 2012 I'm excited. The fight goes on for a while and about 5 mins into Ethan realized he hasn't gained an inch of line during the entire fight. We look at his spool and its not good. Maybe another 30ft of line left, then the fish makes a good run and SNAP!!! spooled. Dam, must have been on hell of a fish.

Shortly after that Garrett came and found me and was asking me for my net. Out of all the people out here I was the only one who brought a net. Something is wrong with this picture. I ran over though and sure enough one of his buddies was hooked up on his flying C.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


No one has seen it yet but by the weight he though it was close to 20. He fought it to the bank and right as we saw color on the fish he spat the hook. 2 hooks ups now and no fish.

Then he hooks up again, and the fish spits the hook . . . . . again. Then he hooks up again! I'm grabbing the net getting ready to help him out. Ethan was trying to get his spinner in and out of the way then I see him slam his rod and he says he has a snag. At the time he was throwing a small fire max spinner and I asked him how the hell did he get snagged with that light ass spinner? Whatever don't have to time to care about it I need to net someone's fish. As I'm walking away I hear Ethan sigh in the backround and I asked him if he had to break off. He said no I had a fish and shook the hook out of his mouth. Thought the salmon was a snag, classic man.

Ethan lost his Garrett's friend finally lands one on his 3rd hook up of the morning.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Then not much later it was my turn.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


First salmon of 2012! Nice chrome little jack.

We kept at it for a while, but I had to go to work so around 0900 I started packing up and Ethan asked me if we were leaving? I told him I had to get everything put together so go a head and make a few more cast. Sure enough he made that last cast count.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


He gets his fish in and its a nice big 20+ buck

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Got everything else there packed up and ready to go and off to work I went.

Back out again this morning for a big skunk. I think the over cast we had yesterday really helped us out for that one day. All morning there was only one hook up.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Ended up being a nice 15+lb hen. Nothing for met today just another skunk but thats like.

Its only three days in and I just realized I've only gotten 6 hours of sleep since the opener, I need a break man.

Goodnight ya'll
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment