Sunday, February 23, 2014

First Sturgeon on the Fleet

It's been a while since I've been out and this has been long over due. Ethan and I took the boat out to the Mothball fleet today. Launched out of Monty at a very crowded boat ramp, typical weekend for you. Made it out to the fleet and we were on anchor close to 0830 and immediately saw some good marks on the graph.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


Got the rods out and started the waiting game. We both were throwing eel/grass combo's, and roe ghost combo's. The fabled hot bait and our own personal favorite.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


After that we just started our waiting game to see how long it was going to take before Mr. sturg came out to play. Not maybe 20 minutes after being on anchor Ethan's eel/grass gets hammered by what looks like an aggressive striper hit. Ethan was late to the rod though and missed his chance. No more then maybe 30 seconds later my rod with the same bait goes off and I drill him. At first thought I thought it might have been a shaker sturgeon, got it boat side though an its a 30 inch striper!!!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


Nice bonus and a hell of a by catch. Get him taken care of I drop rod number one back in, then Ethan throws his rod in, I throw my second one, then while Ethan is baiting up his second one my roe rod takes a dip and reach over swing home and I hook into my sturgeon this time.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


Fish came right to the surface and did his tail walk thing to let me know he was my keeper I've been dreaming about for years now. A tough 10+ min fight later and I get the fish boat side. He comes up belly up and I knew he was done. I tell Ethan he is ready and he reaches over with the net. I give it one more pull just to bring the fish within net range and the hook pops out!!! My heart sank, but I trust my net man and he saved the day getting that fish in the net before it came too and we got that thing in the boat and secure.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Huge sigh of relief and serious excitement I finally did it!!! Have to give some serious credit to my captain Ethan though. I couldn't have done it without him and his amazing netting skills.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


Got my Sturgeon and its only 0900. Flying high on cloud 9 nothing could bring me down. With success and action like that I couldn't for a better day. I was waiting for Ethan to stick his so we could hopefully bring limits home. The tide turned to the outgo though and we stopped graphing fish. Stuck it out for a couple of hours before moving around looking for better waters, but found nothing but mitten crabs stealing out bait. Unfortunately it was one of those days that started off great, but never got any better from there. Fished until 1300 without a single other hit. Weather was getting hot, decided to call it from there. Pretty damn successful half day of fishing, I've got this bad boy getting ready for the smoker and grill tomorrow. Cleaning my first sturgeon was a cool experience and I can't wait to cook one for the first time.

Hopefully there will be many more to come cause I can't wait to do it again.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

 P.S. Just realized I never included the size. 56 inches at the fork weighing in at 46lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment