Tuesday, May 13, 2014

DD on the Delta 5/12/14

My dad called me on Sunday and told me the high tide is lining up perfectly with the moon rise, and with our coming full moon he knew the big boys would be out and biting today so we had to get out there for an evening session to throw some topwater plugs. Dropped the boat in just after 1300 and ran down to the SJ to mess around for a while while we waited on evening to come. Spent a couple of hours in the SJ and false river for short strikes practically everywhere and I did watch a fish pushing 15lbs follow my swimbait to the boat, but never hit it. We picked up a couple of
shakers in False, but for me especially I was just getting short strikes everywhere and couldn't really stick anything.

As the sun Started setting we worked our way back into the Moke to our regular stomping grounds. Started off around 1700 same story lots of short strikes, but I couldn't stick anything. At least I know that they are here. After 1800 I pulled the spook out and I wasn't going to be throwing anything else from here on out. As we were working our way up river we did get on a small boil that was full of nothing but shakers, but some hot and heavy action pulling out over a half dozen fish within 10 mins was pretty cool. Started working back down, hoping some bigger fish would be biting now. Working the tules with my spook I finally get the boil I was looking for and I got a pig on the end of the line!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Fish put up a hell of a fight, but was still no match, got her in the boat and landed this beautiful 10lber.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Got my DD fish and got to thinking about it I think its been about 4-5 years since I've got a DD striper on top water, so its a freaking amazing night!

Kept working the tules and still had a mess of shaker messing with me while sticking and landing a couple of them. Throughout the mess of them I did managed one more nice schoolie in the bunch.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Sometimes though as long as I'm getting them on top water it doesn't matter how big they are it's still a freaking blast.

Hit one more point on our way out before heading back to the ramp. Worked the area over good without any immediate action and just as I was starting to think this area was gonna be dead I get another real good swirl and I'm on another nice fish. At first glance I thought it might have been another DD fish, but it just barely missed that mark.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Weighed this beauty in at just shy of 9lbs.

Called it a hell of a way to end the night from there and headed back.

Another great outing with Dad on the delta. I got to give it to him on this one, he saw all of the conditions line up great and said we needed to be there and sure enough he couldn't have been more right. He told me he needed to go one more time too cause once it starts getting hot out he wont be wanting to go out there anymore. He didn't pull any keepers in himself, but he let me do most of the fishing while he just watched and drove the boat. I kept trying to talk him into throwing a spook on with me, but he said he gets more of an enjoyment on seeing me loving my top water bite so much like we all love seeing the excitement in a small child when they catch their first fish, which I totally understand.

Hopefully it doesn't get too hot for the fish here soon, because I would love to get out there and do it again.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment