Sunday, December 4, 2016

American Shad

I haven't gotten around to writing many reports so let me put up a summary here for you guys. I've been making shad trips out when I can, I've been able to get out maybe 2-3 times a week depending on work and have fished various areas of the barbless section of the American River with great success.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x1024.


Most nights I have gone out and caught anywhere from 5-30 fish depending on if I try for stripers or not. I've personally seen and caught a lot of big females this year ranging from 2-4lbs. Fish for me have been falling victims to the pink champagne grubs in either 1 inch or 1 1/2 lengths on a 1/16th jig head. Some days when the flows got high I was adding a 1/32nd split shot to get a better and deeper drift, but I've had great luck just free lining the grub as well.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


I've had good luck throughout all times of the day, but the evenings from 1700-2000 has been the best time frame for the hot bite.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Starting the week before Memorial weekend the crowds have been coming out in full force, including the rafters but they don't effect the bite too much.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x1024.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


I have tried free lining live shad out for the big stripers several times now. I've had my shad get chased around a few times, but I haven't personally had any hits or runs on them yet. I'll keep trying though.

Have fun out there guys the season is on!

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment