Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sac River Chromers

A few weeks ago I saw an old high school friend of mine was talking about fishing out on the Sacramento River and I mentioned to him he should throw some Flying C's and try for some salmon when he was out there. He had no idea what I was talking about, but was very curious about how to catch a salmon. After a week or so of me texting and sending him tips and tricks I went and met him around the Garcia Bend area to throw some spinners from the bank.

We went out for the first time on 9/10/16 to fish the morning hours. Got on the water around 0600 and started casting. Once the sun came out I stuck a fish on a silver body rainbow bladed Flying C. Fish never ran very far, but it put up a hell of a fight at the shore and didn't want to give up. After a few minutes I got the fish to tire out and I beached him on the rocks and grabbed him by the gill. First time out the season and I got one! Doesn't get much better then that.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Fish was a 15lb hen, nice and bright too. I was glad to see the fish are still bright even though I got what seems to me a really late start on the season.

We fished until about 0930 that morning without any other luck or seeing anything else happening. Throughout the week we both hit the river for a couple of hours before and after work since it's on the way home. My friend Brad said one morning he saw a guy catch a 23lb buck and one evening he saw someone else catch about an 8lb steelhead.

I met up with him Friday afternoon 9/16/16 after work and I am super impressed to see and hear that Brad has been coming out at least every other day to try and get one. Love seeing the persistence and determination in newer anglers because I know it can get really discouraging at times. He got on the water around 1600 and I showed up after 1800. We make out cast over and over again shooting the shit like always. Around 1900 I watched Brad make a cast, didn't even let the spinner sink at all, made two cranks on the reel then he slammed the hook. I knew for a fact he didn't get snagged way out there on the surface of the water. I looked up and sure enough his rod had that slight pump going on and I knew he hooked into one that just hadn't woken up yet. I was waiting to see the excitement on Brad's face from hooking into his first salmon and waiting for him to yell fish on! As I was watching him though I could see that he looked really confused and I saw him start to drop his rod. He thought for sure he has a snag. I told him though once I saw that, "Brad reel! Reel fast dude you got a fish on!" He still didn't really believe me, but he followed my instructions and once the fish got close to the shore it freaked out and jump clear out of the water and the excitement came out if Brad that I was looking for, now he believed me lol.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Brad did a great job handling the fish and after a few minutes we got it in the net and on the shore. Salmon cherry popped baby!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Brad got himself an 11lb buck, beautiful bright fish and a hell of a catch for his first ever salmon. He's ruined now. We fished for another half hour then packed up and I showed him how to fillet the fish.

Back again the next day Saturday morning. We threw our spinners from 0600-0900 for nothing. It's the weekend though and the tides looked good so I went home after that and knocked all of the cobwebs off of the boat and pulled her out in hopes to troll up a few in Walnut Grove. My friend Ray, Brad and myself were on the water and trolling by 1300. We had Silvertons in various colors and a kwikfish out for our offerings. Around 1600 I noticed the tide started coming in and picked up pretty well. 1605 Ray's rod gets hammered I tell him to grab it, fish is gone. Damn, he puts it back in the holder and it gets hammered again! Ray picks up the rod and the fish didn't stick. WTF? That's upsetting, oh well it happens. 1615 my rod gets wrecked, I pick it up and it's on. Get the other rods in, I bring the fish to the boat and Brad does a perfect net job and we box our first fish of the day.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Great spirit lifter after trolling for a few hours without anything and then seeing a fish hit twice and not stick. I flip the boat around to run back through the school, I set out my first rod put it in the holder and when I grab my second rod and start letting line out I hear Ray in the back round and ask me, "Mark I think you might have one." I look back and sure enough my first rod is singing again. Holy crap were hooked up again. I drop my second rod and get my first one in hand and we're on again. Brad grabs the net and this one would not come out from under the boat for several minutes, but after several minutes of trying to keep that fish out if the prop we got her on board.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


5 mind back to back fish and I got my limit, how sweet is that! Put the rods back in the water kept on trolling. Within the next half hour we saw a lot of fish caught all around us, they were on the bite. We weren't able to get another though. We stuck it out until 1900 and called it a day. My fish were a 10lb buck and a 14lb hen. Both caught on a red/silver Silvertron. I'll be hitting the Sac a lot this year since it's on my way to and from work. Fishing is getting better though that's for sure. Can't wait to get more.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.

No comments:

Post a Comment