Thursday, September 8, 2011

Union Valley Smallies 9/7/11

Today I decided I wanted to break out the pontoon and get on some bass out at Union Valley. I picked up my friend Mike to come along and we took off up the hill. We ended up getting on the water around 1400 and started heading over to my cove I like to fish for bass.

Mike is still very new to fishing so as we get up to our spot I give him and myself and Roboworm on a Shaky head. He was using a warmouth color and I was using the baby bass color.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm explaining to Mike what the bite is going to feel like as he cast out to a rock and his rod doubled over the second it hit the water. He set the hook but missed the fish. I cast in the same spot and missed the same fish I'm sure. Crafty little SOB.

Water level was really low so most of the cover that I usually fish was up above water so I had to find some new area's to fish. After I while I find a submerged rock pile in about 15ft of water and we drop our baits down get bit immediatly. I drew first blood with this small smallie.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Even in clear water mike couldn't see the rock pile without polarized sunglasses, man on man do they make a world of difference, so I was telling him where to cast the whole time, but besides that he was slamming fish all on his own, and doing a good job at it too.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All fish were pretty small, nothing legal, but they sure do still put up a nice fight on light gear. After nailing a few bass we took off and started trolling a bit looking for some trout. My dad got me a new smoker for my birthday and I need to get some fish to break it in. Thought a few trout would be great. We troll around with kastmasters and super dupers. Mike misses a few bites on his Kastmaster, but nothing stuck. Evening came around and we started seeing trout boiling everywhere around us.

We cut the motor and just started casting to boils. Mike stuck with his kastmaster and I switched to a white crappie jig on a 1/16th jig head. After casting a while Mike again missed a few hits and I couldn't get one trout to bite my jig. I was getting chasers and I saw some swiping at it, but they kept missing or wouldn't commit to it. I end up getting bites eventually, but from the wrong species.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I ended up getting two smallies with my jig and not one trout.

With the trout not wanting to bite I figure we would just got back to full swing on the bass. I introduce Mike to the world of top water. I hand him a Zara puppy and try to show him how to walk the dog. He didn't really get the right motion down, but it didn't matter on his first cast a smallie jumped clear out of the water with the spook in his mouth. Smallest fish of the day actually and the craziest hit. Funny how top water works like that.

We had a few more boils but neither of us could stick anything. Headed back to the ramp before it got too dark. Another great day on the water, nothing big, but lots of fun and honestly its a nice break from waking up at 0400 in the morning casting a spinner all morning to most likely get skunked casting for salmon. Its starting to wear on me.

Til Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment