Friday, August 26, 2011

Boating Salmon on the Sac 8/25/11

My buddy Brian told me he got his boat back from the shop and was ready to try for some salmon, so I meet up with him on my day off and got out on the water. We launched from Garcia's Bend at 0545 and took off for the honey hole. We get out there and we anchor just below my usual honey hole I fish from the bank. Anchoring down far enough for people I knew that were coming out to still have room to fish without us being in their way. We dropped kwikfish in the water at 0600 with a good bunch of sardine pro-cure super gel coating on it instead of your usual sardine wrap, works just as good in my opinion, and started the waiting game. Brian had 2 K-15 Kwik fish out, one silver with a chartuse tip and another silver with red tiger stripes. I drop down a K-15 silver kwikfish with the chartuse tip and use my other rod to toss my spinners.

Thought I would take a picture of my spinner for those of you who haven't seen them.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is one of my spinners that I make. I make them with Silver and Gold blades. Silver has been doing better for me recently, but thats also all I've been using this year. Main unique thing my spinners have that others don't is the hammered blade with the dimples in it. My dad and I believe it puts off more vibration and more flash producing more strikes, maybe it does maybe it doesn't, either way it works for me.

Picture of my salmon tray.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So were there fishing I notice 3 other anglers I knew came down to fish off of the bank. I was too far for them to recodnize me so I just watched them from a far to see how they were doing. 0715 I see one of them lands a jack. Good sign I know salmon are still here. I'm really hoping to get Brian on a salmon. He hasn't caught one since he was 5 when his dad took him out with a guide so he has some catching up to do. We keep trying the honey hole until 0900 and nothing else happened. Around this time I usually give up on this hole because its so shallow, so we pulled anchor and went in search of hopefully some more productive water.

We ran down river and anchored in Freeport just below the bridge. As were going down I notice someone else is anchored right where I wanted to be, kinda bummed about that, but Brian and I looked at the fish finder and noticed we just came over a drop off from 18ft that dropped down to 30ft and we were marking fish in the deeper pocket, so we looked at eachother and said screw it lets try right here. Dropped anchor and got to fishing. I didn't feel like tossing my spinner anymore so I dropped a K-14 silver body chartuse tipped kwikfish out on my other rod.

Sat back and just relaxed. I had never salmon fished like this is was nice. I had never actually caught a salmon on a kwikfish before, but I knew it was effective. I've been doing it off of the bank and have been getting bites, but I haven't landed anything doing it yet. I know what the bite looks like though and its massive. After a while Brian dozes off and I'm just messing around with some rope practicing my knots just waiting to catch the bite in the corner of my eye.

After a while I look up at all of the rods and I noticed my rod with the K-14 on it is bouncing a little harder then the normal wobble a kwikfish does. It almost looks like a little small mouth is on there and just thrashing around, so just encase I pick up my rod and set the hook. As I set the hook I notice my line is now across the boat over all of the other lines and headed for the middle of the river. I reel down feel alittle bit of weight, but no head shakes or anything. I gain 20 yards of line before I feel my first thump of a head shake then I knew a fish was on so I yelled at Brain to wake up and get the net. He heard me woke up and had the net ready all in about 3 seconds. Even though he was sleeping he was ready, I was impressed.

Fish got tangled up in some lines but I worked around them and we got the fish in.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another nice Jack for me.

Now I really don't want to complain about catching fish, but this is my 4th Jack I have caught now this season. I know there are 20lbers out there, I've seen guys catch them right next to me! All of these little fish seem to like me though. Its still better then a skunk though. Fish was caught @ 1040.

We stick it out here until 1200 trying to get one for Brian, but we didn't have anymore luck. We took a ride up to old Sac for some lunch and after that Brian was dieing to go and check out disco. I didn't care to fish in a line of 20 other boats, but Brian didn't want to go back to the ramp without a fish of his own, so we go up there and sure enough I counted 18 boats out there trying. I did actually see one of them was hooked up when we passed.

We made a couple passes just looking at our electronics for fish or promising spots. We find some shade and just decide do try there to stay out of the sun. 20 mins into it there a salmon rolled right next to us. Good sign. We fish until 1500 though for nothing and decide to call it quits from there. Brian was passed out again and I was starting to fall asleep. Since no one was awake to watch the rods I told Brian it was time to give it up and try again another day.

Good day on the water though and I've now got my first salmon off of a boat and my first one on a kwikfish. I could get into this lazy fishing for salmon. Sure is a heck of a lot easier then tossing spinners all damn day long.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment