Sunday, January 19, 2014

First AR Steelie of 2014

I've made a couple of half ass attempts going out for steelhead this year for maybe 30 mins each time. I see the river and it just looks more and more depressing. My friend Jessi told me she wanted to go fishing. Didn't have too much time or too much extra spending cash to go out to Amador like I wanted to to get her on some decent trout action, but tossing for some steelies on the AR is still fun. We worked a decent area of the Barbless section hoping to find some fish holding somewhere. I gave Jessi and spoon to toss around and I drifted roe. Worked a lot of deep holes and a few riffles looking for em. Talked to and saw a lot of fisherman a long the way and everyone said they had been working the river for the past couple of days without any luck. Tough times for sure.

After a couple of hours of walking a long and working our way down I finally got a little tap on roe and managed to hook into one. Had some pull, but not much weight. May have been small, but I'll tell you these little guys can pull!

Got my half pounder in and got my skunk off for the day and the season.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Running off a little high Kept working down looking for more biters, but never found anything. Saw hundreds of fish along the river, but they were all dried up dead salmon carcasses. The river reeks of dead salmon just a for warning if your headed out there. Fished from 1000 till about 1300 and called it from there. Nice few hours on the water had a blast, hope to find more time to try and get on more steelies this year.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment