Thursday, March 19, 2015

Striper Fix 3/19/15

 Needed my fix so I ran out to Tyler Island road in the morning to do a quick bank run. Started at the mouth of Georgianna and worked my way up. Very run and gun style is what I wanted to do today. Get to a spot make 3 or 4 cast and move. I keep working my way up river before sun break and at my first point I get my first blow up and I got a fish in the box.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x1820.


Worked the area over a bit more thoroughly since I caught one here, but wasn't able to get another bite. Kept working up river plugging along working my Katch bait all around targeting points and bends in the river. I got one more swirl about a half mile up river that didn't commit to the bait. I tried to follow up with a jerkbait, but it wasn't mean to be. I kept plugging a long working a few miles up river, but nothing else happened. Called it at 0800 when the sun got high.

Back for the evening bite, dragged the boat out to Wimpy's for an evening session with Daniel. Dropped the boat in the water just before 1700 and went on the hunt. Started the search throwing jekrbaits and rattle traps. Pretty quickly into it I strike first blood with a solid fish. Fish bit like a small bluegill pecking at the back of my lure, but she fought like she was a 20lber.



Took me almost 5 mins. but I got the skunk off with this healthy girl.



Kept
chunking down the bank and I was able to get into one more good fish. Similar sized fish falling for the Jerkbait.



Only been fishing for about 30 mins and I've been able to put two solid 8+lb fish in the boat, life is good.

Kept working the jerkbait along the banks without anymore luck. 1800 the wood came out and we started walking the surface. We were getting a lot of fish following the baits or even small ones making a swirl on it, then nothing. The fish just wouldn't commit to really going after the bait. Has anyone else been having this issue chucking wood recently or is it just me? I might switch back to the Super Spook one day here soon to maybe try and see if there is a difference or not.

Finally while working a tule line Daniel sticks a chunker on his DWB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Fish gives Daniel one hell of a fight and gave us a bit of a scare as she ran right next to a big tree and almost got caught up in it. Daniel saved it though and we got her in.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


31 inch fish probably around 12lbs or so.

Super stoked to see our average fish is around 10lbs this evening. Kept running around looking to see if we could get on a serious school.



We were very consistently getting followers and swirls on the top water plugs, but the fish just wouldn't stick. It was very exiting, but made for a super frustrating evening. Kept at it until after the sun went down for over a dozen swirls, but no more connected fish. They are there we just couldn't get them to stick.

It was a great evening though with some nice fish to show for our efforts.

Till next time
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment