Sunday, July 3, 2011

Couple more days on the American River

I keep trying for my keeper Striper on the AR. I went out in the AM 7/2/11. Picked up Garrett and met Daryl on the water at 0515. Right when we got there stripers were jumping a bit. Casting the spook I could get anything close enough to where I was to hit. I walk up river 50 yards or so with Garrett where we see more crashing close to the bank. I throw the spook out there and Garrett tosses his swim bait. On my first cast I get 3 mice blow ups, but the fish missed the lure every time.

After fishing a while longer Garrett manages a small shaker on his swim bait. Nothing else happened that morning though.

Back out again this morning 7/3/11. Got Garrett and we got out on the water earlier today 0430. I myself was so exhausted and tired from helping my friends move all day and night the day before so I sat down on my ass waiting for the stripers to start jumping. Garrett is out tossing his swim bait though. He had a small light attach to his hat I gave him and I told him to shine it on the water in front of him and the stripers will come right to him. 5 mins later Garrett was reeling his lure in and it got 5 ft from the bank and I see him set the hook and then his swim bait come flying out of the water.

He said holy crap that was a bite! He flipped his bait back out just 10 ft from the bank and right when it hit the water BAM! He was hooked up. I ran over to help and right off of the bat Garrett has a keeper striper.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice 21 incher. After seeing that I got off my ass and throw out a swim bait. Nothing happened with that, but shortly after they start jumping so get my spook out there. I end up getting two blow ups and hooking up on both but losing the fish after a 3 second fight. This is getting kind of ridiculous. I've lost so many fish recently on spooks after a 2 or 3 second fight. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if its just the hooks not landing right. Garrett keeps telling me you get a better hook up if you take the middle of the 3 hooks off of the super spook. I don't understand how that would make sense but I'm willing to try it now.

Garrett managed another nice little shaker on the swim bait again of course.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Called it a day from there. Gonna try to get out again 2maro. We'll see what happens.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment