Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Deer Creek Resevoir (Lower Scotts Flat) 7/25/11

I wanted to get out and try for some trout today. I was talking to Garrett on where to go and my first plan was to hike up the desolation wilderness to hit some of the mountain lakes for brookies, but Garrett didn't like the sound of that long walk up the mountain, so he convinced me to go out to Scotts Flat Lake. We and got my other friend Brian today so I couldn't bring my toon, but we all had a float tube and decided that it would be the perfect way to go today.

We arrive at the lower lake (Deer Creek Resevoir) at 1200 and I step out of the car and find a nice looking tree to mark, and as I turn around I noticed Garrett was already gone. I asked Brian where he went and he said he already took his rod down to the water. Kid wasted no time on that one. about a minute later he comes walking back up with this.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He went down and got one on his 4th cast throwing a white crappie jig. After seeing that Brian grabbed his rod and took off to get one too. I stay at the car and just pump up my float tube and get all of that ready. I walk down later to see Brian still fishless, but I can see fish following his jig on every cast, they just weren't committing to it. I try throwing a jig with a drop of pro cure on it to make it more delicious for the fish, but like Brian I could only get them to follow it, not take it. After seeing that, down with the jig and time for another lure.

I pick up one of my personal favorite trout lures the Super Duper and I stick one on the first cast.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like hardware is the way to go for me today. I get one more from the bank then I launch the float tube to get out to some more fish. (I didn't take any pictures on the tube cause of the fear of my phone taking a dip so sorry about that).

While Garrett and Brian are pumping up their tubes they throw out a couple of bait poles. Needless to say they were getting bit so often it was over an hour before they got on their tubes and onto the water. Brian was just doing rainbow powerbait on the bottom and Garret had a powerworm and some powerbait on a 1/16th ounce jig head under a bobber. I thought it was kind of a weird set up but you know it was working and thats all that mattered.

For me out on the tube I just had to see some surfacing make a cast and fish on. Before Garrett got out I already had caught and released close to 15 trout, and when Brian finally got out a bit later I had completely lost count. I stuck with the super duper. Garrett tried a kastmaster and Brian was throwing a roostertail. Everything was working.

We fished for the next 3 hours to get close to 80 or so fish between the three of us. After that we decided to go up to the main lake and see if we can get on some bass. Long story short on that one, lots of wind and lots of water skiers didn't make for good conditions. Garrett did manage to get 3 smallies though on a tube about 8-10 inches each, Brian hooked one on a banjo minnow, and I couldn't even get a bite throwing tubes and robo worms. With the bass bite not being on like we thought it would be we deflated the tubes and back to deer creek we went.

Its now evening and trout were boiling everywhere, always a cool sight. Garrett started tossing flies to do something a little different.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And guess what? that worked pretty well too.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He was tossing I believe a pheasant tail nymph and having great success with it. Brian stuck with bait and I think found his inner child with fishing with a bobber the whole time. He did pretty well with it too.

I shot a video of Brian getting a fish, but I have not the slightest clue on how to get it on here, so I'll try to figure it out and post it up here asap for you guys to see.

We fished until dark, caught and released easily over 100 fish between the 3 of us, and topped off our limits for a nice fish fry to look forward to at home. First time for me at this lake and I must say I love it and will be back soon for sure

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment