Monday, August 15, 2011

Salmon and Stripers? on The Sac 8/15/11

Back out to the Honey Hole again today with my dad. Got on the water at 0620 and as we roll up we see our friends Lucas and David following right behind us. We set up and I get a Kwikfish out before I start casting my spinner. I thought about it a while ago I have a second rod stamp might as well use it. Plus getting salmon is hard enough might as well double my chances at getting one. After that we all start casting waiting for the prime bite times. My dad and I have noticed that there are usually 2 prime times when we usually catch fish. That is right at 0653 and any where from 0815-0830. Before today I have seen 3 other fish caught right at 0653 on the exact minute. No idea why, but I'm not going to argue with it.

0645 rolled around and I warned everyone its almost 0653 guys be ready for it someone is gonna get one. Few minutes later my dad sets the hook on something but he and everyone knew it wasn't anything special. Pulled his spinner up and there is a 4 inch striper on there that nailed his spinner. We asked him if he wanted a picture for proof of his trophy catch, but he said he didn't want proof of that worthless fish. As he is taking the fish off of the hook our buddy David tossing a number 5 chartuse Blue Fox sets the hook and says fish on!!!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He hooks up I look at my phone and what do you know? Its 0653. 4th fish now caught right on this very minute of the day. Got to love a bite that is that consistent.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fight lasted about 15 minutes. We got his fish landed and put her on the scale. Ended up being a nice chrome 19lb hen. After that we were all happy that there was a fish right on the expected minute, so we were expecting to get at least one more around the 0830 bite time, but we're perfectly fine with getting one sooner then that. Cast after cast goes by, 0800 comes by and we all get ready and before you know it my spinner stops and I set the hook into a fish. Look at the clock its 0805, a little early from the usual bite time, but I'm not complaining. My fish was a smaller jack. Small, but still a salmon and I'm happy about it. Got him in in about 3 minutes.

Now My dad has been saying conditions are good enough that someone should be getting a limit either today or sometime soon. As I land my fish, I literally popped the hook out of its mouth and David yells fish on again! Hell yea David is getting his limit baby! I walk down to the water to put my fish on the stringer and I hear David yell "ITS A F#%kING STRIPER!!!" I look over and sure enough David has a nice striper on that hit his Blue Fox.

We land his fish after a quick fight and were all just baffled at his odd catch, but hey I know I would take it any day.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

David with both of his fish. His Striper ended up being 7lbs and 27 inches long. Man David is Living large today. Damn near 20lb salmon and a legal striper, day doesn't get much better then that. We stick it out and keep trying until 0930. I end up getting a 12 inch small mouth bass for my efforts, but no more salmon, or stripers for that matter.

Get home and snap a pic of my smaller fish.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ended up being about 6 1/2lbs. Still not the 20lber I'm looking for, but I'll take a jack any day rather then take a skunking.

Season is still early hopefully there are many more amazing days on the water to come.

Till Next Time Guys.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment