Tuesday, August 2, 2011

First Salmon of The Seaon Baby. 08/2/11

My buddy Jeremy told me he had this Tuesday off and said he was ready to get on some salmon, so I meet him this morning at Freeport and showed him out to our spot my dad and I fish. We got on the water around 0650 and started tossing our spinners. This spot is cool because its shallow enough we don't have to use any weights with the spinners. Also its cool because of the shallow water you know when fish move though they are going to see your lures no matter what.

We get on the water at 0650 and I start throwing my spinner, I'm using one with a silver blade this morning. Jay has a pink Flying C on with a gold blade. About my 5th cast into it only my third crank on the reel my spinner gets whacked, I set the hook and fish on baby!

Hooked up right away barely 5 mins into the day man life is good. 10 min or so fight I and landed that bad boy.


A nice 15lb Hen to start the season with.

I walk up to my car to grab some rope for a stringer and as I'm looking through my car I hear Jay swing his rod and make a deep sigh. I turn around and asked him what happened and his exact words was "Crap man my world just got rocked!" Same thing that happened to me happened to him. Got hit right after the first reel, he just missed it.

Slightly after that Jay switched over to a Chartuse Flying C with Chartuse/silver blade, and not maybe another 30 mins. later Jay sets the hook and he is hooked up this time. He said it was a small fish but a fish is a fish and more importantly a Salmon is a Salmon! or is it??? His fish comes up and it's back is a very strange greenish color. I take a closer look and I can see that that's no Salmon. Jay busted a Steelhead!!!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something I've never seen on the Sac, my dad said he has caught one Steelie once in 20 years of fishing for salmon on the Sac. Very rare catch and way cool to see. Close to a 4lb chromer steelie on a flying C too.

Let the fish go to be caught another day and we keep trying for our target fish. We keep trying and we hit rocks after rocks setting the hook on everything even some little smallies are slapping our spinners. Jay gets a good hit though a bit further out and there is another fish on!

Jay is hooked up again and its deinfatly a salmon this time. Pretty amazing 3 fish in one day 1 being a steelhead. After another 10 min fight or so we land Jay's fish.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jay's fish ended up being a 20lber.

We fished until 0930 before we called it a day. Pretty damn good day if you ask me. Loaded everything up and threw the salmon cooler, realized I need a bigger cooler.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Got home and showed off my fish to my dad.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cleaned my fish and got everything packaged and ready to go for some friends who I promise salmon too.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Had some nice roe in her too.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good day on the water today. Jeremy's first salmon in years and first Steelie we've ever seen on the Sac, can't ask much more for that.

Till Next Time Guys.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment