Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Trolling Lake Amador 11/29/11

My buddy Jay (jfitalia) called me and said lets go fishing. Debated between stripers or trout. Figured I haven't been to Amador in a while and my school of stripers in the port moved off to idk where so trout it was. Jeremy had always told me how amazing grubs are trolling for trout, but I've never learned how to properly troll them, so Jay told me he would show me the ways of trolling Amador.

We got on the the water around 0700. Got out of the launch cove and started trolling around the dam and up the north shore. I got to say too man oh man was it foggy.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We made a few circles around the area without a bite, so we decided to try a different section of the lake. We trolled further down the lake towards Mountain Springs. After we passed the spillway We started seeing fish surfacing everywhere all around us far and wide. We keep trolling through the schools without a bite, and with fish jumping all over the place and even only about 5ft from the boat my patience was running low. I decided to pull in one of my rods and get up on one of the bow of the boat and I decided to cast my jig towards the swirls of fish. Sure enough not much longer after I started this I got hit. I ended up missing a couple of hits before I stuck my first fish.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The second I threw that fish in the live well I heard Jay say "Mark your rod!!!" I look behind me and my trolling rod with a fire tiger grub on it with a white power egg ahead of it was doubled over. I grabbed the rod and Fish on Baby!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Couple of fish with in a few seconds hell yea!

Not much later Jay gets his fish on a orange grub.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We kept making passes here getting 2 or 3 fish on each pass most on grubs some on me throwing jigs and Jay Got a few trolling a night crawler too.

Trolling speed .6-1.5mph
Scents threadfin shad and shrimp
Set backs we switched from 80ft to as close as 30ft back.

Unfortunatly I think my battery for the trolling motor is shot. Around 1100 or so my battery started dieing, but we managed to keep it going for a while longer. Off of the water around 1330. We must have boated close to 20 fish throughout the day.

The Live Well


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Once we found the fish the bite was pretty consistent throughout the day right up until the end when .5mph was the max speed on my trolling motor, and I'm pretty sure that was mostly just the wind pushing us.

Great day on the water and awesome to learn a new productive way of fishing.

Till Next Time Guys.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment