Monday, December 5, 2011

Flounder on the Delta

My dad and I are still after our Sturgeon. Came out to the Delta today to give it another go. Launched out of Brannan Island around 1230. Found a spot we liked at the power lines in 31 feet of water.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My dad said he was feeling good today. Finally after searching for it for sometime now our bait shops finally had grass shrimp (my dad's favorite bait). My dad started off with that and I stuck with my eel and shad/sardine combo. We both started getting bites within 10 mins. After a few missed hook sets and a bunch of nibbles I ended up sticking a 8 inch shaker striper. Water temp was a chilling 49 degrees. With the cold water bites weren't very aggressive shakers or not. After a few missed swings for my dad he ends up sticking a fish too. His fish was a little bit more exciting though.




Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old man got a Starry Flounder. Finally he let me take his picture for once.

Cool catch for sure. Not to often we come across one of these. People tell me they are good eating so in the cooler he went. We kept missing hits here for a few hours then after a while out bites just stopped. We moved up river to shallower water where my dad managed a few more hits and a 16 inch shaker striper. After that the sun went down and we decided to call it quits. I did see one over sized sturgeon roll. Damn is it cool seeing those massive things breach out of the water.

Off the at sundown. Got home and laid this guy down on the cutting board.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now how the hell am I suppose to clean this guy? Luckily out of curiosity and boredom on youtube I've looked up how to clean a halibut. Figured it would be a similar process. Sure enough my first time at I didn't think I did too bad.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thing was good too. Similar taste to rockfish almost.

All in all slow day on the delta, still no stugie for us, but we'll keep trying.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment