Wednesday, January 18, 2012

American Steel 1/18/12

I came up to Rancho to spend my day off with the Girl Friend. She had school today though so while she took off to do that I'd thought I kill some time chasing some steelies around since I was right there. I had some roe that I cured from the trout I've been keeping at Amador, I figured I couldn't go wrong with that. I fished just below the hatchery with the rest of the crowds. I found a small riffle the had a few fish in it that I had all to my self so was happy with that. I spent an hour drifting roe pass these fish for nothing and all around me I saw people hooking up on beads and I was looking all were legally hooked. I didn't want to give in to using beads, but I couldn't argue with what was working. I thought about it and I said to myself if you can't beat em join em. I give Big Ant you win.

I lengthen my leader to 5ft put two red beads on and tried drifting those. 3rd cast I hooked into one and it popped off a second after the hookset. I couldn't believe it worked that fast. 30 mins later I get one to stick and I get my Steelhead.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only my second steelhead I have ever caught and definatly my person best.

I looked too and sure enough the hook was inside his mouth on the lower jaw. Blows my mind that plastic would work better then real eggs, but whatever what works works. Sent him on his marry way to go and make some babies.

I did end up foul hooking a few fish by accident that popped off easy when I just held my rod straight at em. I ended up missing a lot of bites because I didn't want to set the hook in fear that I had one in its side or something, till I saw the fish open up its mouth and spit my beads at me. Man that was depressing.

I ended up getting one more fish before I took off.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This one had the hook on the outside of the bottom jaw. Either way I'm not keeping fish today and its wild anyways back she goes. Had a couple more bites, but no more fish landed. Had lots of fun for just a of couple hours. I might have to go back and do it again sometime.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment