Monday, January 9, 2012

Bodega Bay Doran Beach 1/7/12

I was thinking I'm overdue for a bodega trip so I rounded up some buddies checked the tides and set off for the big blue. I brought Deni, Garrett, and my other friends Jazzie, and Jessica along with me today. It was a very full car. Low tide was at 1640 so we went over to the jetty to try and get some Dungies for the the pot at home. Got on the water around 1300 and threw out the crab snares and crab hawks. I had another friend that said he was gonna come but predictions of high winds and a high wave warning scared him away.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got to tell you it was some rough looking seas, haha. Weather and conditions were beautiful. Next to no waves crashing on the jetty at all, Wind was light for Normal Bodega winds, sun was shining it was prefect. Unfortunately crabbing conditions were not the same. The Jetty was crowded and as I walked out I asked how everyone was doing. Most have been there all day and only had 1 or 2 legal dungies if they were lucky. We gave it a good college try for about 2 hours for only 2 legal red crabs. With crabbing being slow we went straight over to our other rocks we like for poke poling. All of the girls decided to try their hand at poke poling while Garrett and I tossed plastics for rock fish.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Every one on the hunt.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Queen poke poler.

Garrett and I were actually the first ones getting hit with some small fish coming up here and there.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Garrett was tossing a Berkely White Power Grub on a jig head while I stuck with my usual white texas rigged tube. I ended up hooking into something that is a bit unusual for this area.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A Lingcod!!! Never imagined I would ever get one here inside the little harbor or whatever you want to call it.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fish was only about 15 inches long or so, but it didn't care. Thing put up a hell of a fight, and its always way cool to get a Ling, especially off shore.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He may be small but man o man they still have some scary looking teeth on em.

Eel fishin seemed to be kind of tough today for the girls, but no one walked away skunked.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jazzy with one of her eels.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jessica with the biggest one of the day



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Spider Crabs were in full force today though thats for sure.

I kept crabbing too while we were here, I ended up getting quite a few more red crabs here too to take home. We stuck it out until the very end to see the sun go down.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have to say to without a doubt everything gets hotter when the sun goes down. Right after I took this picture Garrett and I got on a school of rock fish where we were getting hit on every cast. Garrett stuck with plastics and I ended up drop shotting some squid. Between the two of us we definitely caught limits for two. Most though were so small they weren't worth keeping.

It was getting dark though and all of the girls were getting cold so we called it quits after that. Ended up taking 8 Red crabs home, 1 Rock crab, 9 rock fish, and 3 eels.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great score and a great day on the water. Jazzy told me next time I need to bring a shovel and were gonna have to give clamming a try. I saw some of the campers going for em today. Made me want a piece of that pie. I'll remember that for next time, and I for sure can't wait until then.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment