Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lake Amador 2/28/12

My recent work schedule is allowing me to get lots of fishing done in the morning since I don't have to be at work until 1600 and I've been using my time well. Took the girl friend to Amador to try for some cutbows. We got on the water around 0900 and found a spot to try on the dam. Not too many people fishing today being a week day. Right when we got to the shoreline I immediately saw cruising schools of fish passing me.

Deni tossed out some powerbait only about 10 ft out. I do the same and grab my UL rod with a white crappie jig on. I tried tossing jigs at fish for a few hours for no action at all. I switched through 4 different colors and hardly nothing. Maybe a chaser every now and then. After that I tried my weighted black leech for nothing at all. After that I had to try something else. I brought my flt rod with me today and when all else fails I go to a power worm on my fly rod. It almost never fails me, but today it did. Not a glance or anything. I looked through my fly box to try something else and I came across my custom wooly bugger I call the "Red fox." Its a red and brown wooly bugger that I've done good on in the past. My very first cast with this fly I get slammed, I set the hook and my damn line snaps. Freaking wonderful. I run back to my fly box and grab another one and try again.

While I'm waiting for my next bite Deni's power bait gets slammed and she is hooked into a nice one.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If nothing else powerbait will always work.

There were some guys right next to us trying the new fire bait from Pautzkes, and they didn't get anything on it. Idk if they just weren't in the area or what, but I think I'll stick to power bait.

After a while I get another slam on my fly and I get my first fish of the day.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Got to love fly fishing man.

Later I saw a fish swimming by me and I saw him doing some head shakes like he was hooked. I though some one had maybe just lost him or something. I didn't think he would hit but I made cast at him anyways. The cast ended up scaring him or something cause he took off then I heard the drag on my power bait rod screaming and then I realized why he was doing head shakes. I ran over grabbed my rod and reeled that guy in.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We kept at it casting to passing schools, Deni got a few more fish on power bait and I missed a few more on the fly. Had to leave at 1300. Deni ended with 3 and I ended with the two. Took me a while to find something the fish would hit, but once I did it was great. Probably would have gotten my limit on the fly if I could have stayed later.

Few shots Deni took on her phone.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great half day of fishing. Being able to get out a bit more often is defiantly awesome even if its not for a full day.

Till Next Time
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment