Monday, February 27, 2012

Port of Sacramento 2/26/12

Another trip to the port I know, but I can't get away from it. Action has been good recently and I'm addicted to it. My buddy Ray who I'm supposed to be mentoring for his senior project told me that he has never caught a striper before, that has to change. I pick him up and got to the Jefferson parking lot around 0830 or so. Got the toon put together and off we went. Working the out going tide this morning our first few trolls we both had a few short taps, but nothing was committing to their hits. After about an hour of just dealing with short taps to nothing we decided to look for greener pastures outside of the barge canal to hope the fish here will be on a better bite later. Don't know if the fish were just small or if they just weren't that hungry.

We take off and try trolling some shoreline on the south end of Lake Washington where I've done good before and We start getting some more aggressive hits here. A couple swings a misses, but I finally stick my first fish of the day here and get my skunk off.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I didn't measure this guy, but I think he was around or just shy of 18 inches. We work this area for the next few hours fighting with the wind in the toon for a few more shakers for my self and I ended up getting one Largemouth while trolling.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After that our bite here died down. With both of my spots now on the slow side today, and I didn't have to be at work later We took off for my bassy cove to look for some bucket mouths. We spent a few more hours tossing crankbaits around launch ramps and ships for one SDR and I had what looked like a 10+lb striper following my crankbait, but he turned away right at the boat.

Ray Unfortunately hasn't caught a fish yet. While trolling he has had plenty of hits, but he couldn't stick anything. I wasn't sure if he just wasn't getting the hookset right or if something was wrong with his lure. I take a look at his swimbait he was trying which was a 4 inch swimbait from powerbait. I thought the hook looked like it was pointing at a downward angle with would make sticking fish a lot harder. I told him to try one of my fish traps and see if he still has the same problem. We run back to the Barge canal to do some more trolling, and sure enough Ray next bite he gets slammed and this one sticks.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ray's first ever Striper. He measured out at 21 inches. Nice schoolie.

We were still getting lots or short taps here in the canal, but Ray was finally sticking fish.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ray ended up getting 3 fish almost all back to back and all 18-21 inches. Around 1430 my battery for my trolling motor died so We ran back to the truck and I charged it up a little bit so we didn't have to stop fishing. We tried a few more trolls for some short taps but nothing else stuck. 1700 came around and the sun was on its way down. We were both about ready to go but we still had to urge to try for one more. My battery was dieing again so instead of trolling we were just slowly working out way back to the ramp casting a long with way. Ray working his swimbait and I'm tossing my Alabama rig. We kept trying and trying but we got closer and closer to the ramp without getting even a tap. Finally were not more then 30ft away from the ramp I make a cast along the shoreline in about 7 ft of water and my Alabama rig gets slammed. I set the hook on it and nothing budged. I knew I had a much nicer fish.

Guy managed to drag the toon around a bit before I lipped him and got him in.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My biggest fish I have ever caught out here in the port. Fish was 29 inches long. I didn't have the scale so I didn't get a weight unfortunately. That right there is what perseverance is all about. Tried hard and fish until the last minute and it paid off.

That was the last fish of the day and a great way to end it. The bite was a bit tougher today then it has been, but we put in the effort and got rewarded greatly. The total was 9 stripers between the 2 or us 4 or 5 being legal and my one bass I got trolling.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment