Monday, November 12, 2012

Bodega Bay Doran Beach Session

Crabbing season got started and I've been dying to get my piece of the pie. Made plans for a trip and got Deni and our friend Jazzy to come along with. Got on the water around 0900 and found a ton of people out on the Jetty. It is the weekend (Sunday, 11/11/12). Met my good friend Daryl out there on the jetty and we all tried our snares and crab hawks. Asking around on my way out here pretty much no one had anything or maybe only one crab. Action was slow. The few crabs I did see come in from fisherman around me all looked like this.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Short females full of roe. This is the only crab I managed to catch today.

Deni got one herself.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Jazzy managed to get this rock crab.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


That was the amount of our action as far as crabbing went. Regardless of how crabbing was it was a beautiful day on the water.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Jazzy enjoying the day.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


Trying for some crab.



Deni trying to hide from the sun.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


One of the locals.

We tried here till 1300, but by then the tide has gone out and it was poke poling time. Hopped off of the jetty and made our way to the coast guard station. We saw a pretty awesome sand castle some kids were working on when we got there.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


picture from the front side

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Walked over saw one guy throwing a brush hog around and sticking a few small rock fish in the kelp. I threw some squid out at first, but it never got touched. Just to try real quick I dropped some squid into a couple of holes to see if I could get an eel real quick. Not much later I found one willing to bite.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


That's good for me, time to switch for rockfish. I enjoy catching them a little more. Tied on a white tube texas rigged and worked around the rocks and kelp. Didn't take long for me to find some active fish.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


While I was doing this Deni and Jazzy were slamming some eels.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Nice double of a few keepers

Jazzy even managed to get her first ever rockfish poking around in the rocks.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The wind and current pushed a bunch of kelp over on top of the rocks which made it really hard for the girls to poke pole, but the rock fishing was excellent. I ended up punching through the kelp with my tube and getting plenty of bites from the rock fish. I even managed to slam this short cabby.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Actually my first ever cabezon I've ever caught which was way cool.

Deni managed to get a few small rockfish too while poke poling for some eels.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


I filled my limit of rockfish and after that I ran around to see if I could dig up a few clams.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Couple of kids on the beach saw me digging in the sand and wanted to join in on the fun.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I never found anything though. If any clammers out there can tell me what to look for when looking for a hole, which hole is a clam or not. Must have dug a dozen holes or so for nothing or just small clams, not the gapers I was looking for. Stayed until sundown then ran over to the cleaning station to get all of my rockfish cleaned up. First time to this cleaning station I have to say I thought Amador's was bad, but everything about this station was kind of just a pain to deal with. It is still much nicer though to do the main part of my cleaning here and not at home.

Awesome day on the water, was pretty bummed about the crabbing, but it was still an awesome day here at bodega. Hopefully next time we can get some crabs to take home. Now that I got the boat I'll probably pick up a few crab rings and drop them out while were waiting on low tide. Maybe next time.

Until Then Guys
Mark
Edit/Delete Message

No comments:

Post a Comment