Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Shad Afternoon to Trout Evening

My old friend from high school Gary is in town from Florida this month and I promised him a few
fishing trips out while he was here. He make's me pretty jealous sending me pictures of groupers and red fish all the time, fish I can't fish for here in Cali, but I've done a pretty good job at sending him pictures back still making him pretty jealous of the fishing I get to do here in California.

Out on the boat for another shad session, found the school pretty quickly dropped anchor and within the first 10 mins Gary slams 2 right off the bat.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The school moved around a bit after that and we just spent our evening following em, hooking a few and missing some here and there. I started doing a old trick I read in a book years ago I guess is a popular thing for crappie fishing down south, that involves attatching a water balloon to a fish which makes following the school nice and easy haha.

Fishing wasn't red hot by any means, but we were both having a blast regardless.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I found most of the fish holding in a slightly deeper and shad stretch in the late afternoon then they moved out into shallow water right at dusk, before then began their spawn. Right around 2030 though the shad were going crazy on the spawn tonight. There were fish swimming around my feet and under my boat trailer while we were loading the boat up. I couldn't believe how close these fish were getting to us.

After that we grabbed my friends Steven and Jazzy and headed out to Amador for our evening session. Made it out there around 2300 to find 20+ people out there on the dock. Its a monday night what the heck are all of you people doing out here? Of course the better spots I like to fish at were taken and I'm not one to move in right next to someone to fish their spot either so we made do on the shallower side of the dock. I saw a few people doing well, looked like soaking powerbait 5ft under a bobber on the outside corners of the dock. I managed to stick two fish throughout the night using my glow jig about 4ft off of the bottom (probably 18-20ft down). Nothing else was going on for us though. Stuck it out until 0330 and left from there.

My evening's catch.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Slow night for us, but a beautiful night. There is something about fishing nights at Amador that does it for me. Just the peace and quiet out there in the night I love it. Even if the fishing wasn't that good.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment