Thursday, June 27, 2013

Doran Beach 6/25/13

Been feeling like traveling to fish recently, and I looked at the tides at Bodega and they lined up with one of my days off, so I called a few friends and arranged the trip for a chance at some rock fish and eels. Loaded the car and we were on the road out of Rancho around 0430 to make the 0718 minus tide. Got to the beach around 0650 and threw a couple of crab rings out while Steven and I tried for rockfish while Deni and our friend Ally tried for eels. Pretty quickly into it Steven and I were getting a lot of hits, but missing em left and right. After several missed hits from the both of us Steven finally draws first blood.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Nice little rocky to start the day off with. The rock fish bite stayed pretty consistent for us throwing texas rigged white tubes. Steven even managed to get a short cabby.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Even though they are always short I love seeing lings and cabezon caught here, fairly rare catches and very cool looking fish.

The summer minus tide and I'm sure the rain that we were fishing in made for some really murky and low vis water conditions which made the poke pole fishing pretty hard for Deni. Luckily for me though the tube bite stayed consistent throughout the whole morning.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 720x960.


Even in tough conditions the poke pole queen still managed to pull out a few small rockies and one eel.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


If you ask me though rockfish are just way more fun.



Steven and I were checking our crab rings every 20 mins or so and we got a decent haul of the red crabs.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I love the taste of these crabs way more then dungies, but I think twice about keeping em sometimes just because it's 5 times as much work to get half of the meat out of em. Screw it though, I'm planning on feasting tonight.

We worked the area until close to 1000 before the tide came in on us and fishing died off. At this point Steven and I are soaking wet from the rain, mist, and wind out there. Fishing was good but the elements were not working with us today. The girls had already ran back to the car to dry off and warm up maybe an hour or so ago. Wasn't ready to call it quits just yet though so I went out to the jetty to try and get some crab to bring home to the pot. Steven joined me later and we worked a couple of rings and a couple crabhawks for another 4 hours for a few more red and rock crab with one legal dungie in the mix.

Our cooler at the end of the day.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Made it back home around 1700 with plenty of time to clean everything and cook up a fantastic dinner.

All of our rock fish + Deni's eel.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Plus all of the crabs we came home with.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Boiled up the crabs and fried some rock fish nuggets while that was cooking.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Its hard to beat fresh fried Rock fish. My favorite part of making trips to bodega without a doubt is dinner later.

I tried for a short while to dig for clams while I was out there. Saw a lot of people digging for em out there. I just was not feeling getting down and dirty in the mud and the sand while I was already soaked to the bone and freezing in the cold.

Great trip and looking forward to the next.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment