Monday, June 24, 2013

Ray's in The Bay

Garrett and I have both been itching for something that pulls hard on the line, so Garrett said lets try for Ray's and sharks out in the bay. We started the morning on a Jetty in Fort Baker to try for some rockfish. Garrett had a few friends that met us down there. They managed to pull a few Lings out of there in a little more then an hour. I couldn't believe that while we were there I saw 4 lings get caught and not a single rock fish. I'm not a big salt water fisherman, but I've never seen that before and I thought it was crazy. The bite there didn't really last so we took off to get what we came for. Paradise beach pier was where we set up shop, and it didn't take long for us to get a bite. The second we got all of our rods out Garrett hooks up.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Ray's pull hard baby.

Got him to the pier and we got our first fish of the day.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Also Garrett's first ever Ray.

For the next hour, bites came pretty quick and Garrett was sticking fish here and there.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I couldn't buy a bite for some reason, but I didn't really matter to me. I was just enjoying the day and as long as someone was catching something I was happy.

Sure enough Garrett was doing some catching too.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The PB of the day. I haven't caught a lot of Rays or ever put one on a scale so I don't know if I have an accurate judgement of the weight of this thing but it was probably 20+ maybe close to 30lbs.

Make sure we get rid of this.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Definitely don't want that thing getting stuck in either of us. That would be a terrible end to our day.

The tide went slack and the bite died for us after that. I managed to pull a few keeper reds out with my crab ring I bought for trip and around 1400 Garrett managed one more ray. Left the pier around 1800. Not tons of action for us, but we had a blast while it lasted. Trips like this make me wish I lived a little closer to the bay so I could fish in the salt a little more often.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment