Monday, June 24, 2013

Union Valley 6/23/13

Ethan (Etray) and his girlfriend Shelby told me they were camping this weekend at Union Valley and I went up to spend a night at the lake with them to get out of the valley. Been a while since I've come up with way and every first trip of the year up here for me I forget how much I love the drive alone. The scenic mountain route is absolutely beautiful, and I love driving on the windy narrow mountain roads (especially ice house road), I just think its a blast.

I got to the lake a few hours ahead of Ethan. Dropped the "First Impression" in and headed for the Camino Cove camp grounds. I went up to grab a spot and the campground was packed!!! Not a single spot open, who's idea was it to come up on a Saturday night? Plan B, I took the boat across the cove and found an open area with a fire pit someone had built and Made camp there. Got all my gear unpacked and started Getting my fishing gear together. At this point it was about 1930 and I knew the smallies would be busting top water plugs. I rigged up a couple bass rods and a couple rods for trout. Once I got a kastmaster tied on one rod I thought what the hell lets make a cast and see what happens. That spoon hit the water and two cranks in it got hammered and I got my first fish in the box.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Or the bucket for that matter.

I was a little worried though. Catching a fish on my first cast has usually always been bad luck for me. I'm choosing to be optimistic though. Made a couple more cast, but nothing else was going for it. Pushed the boat back in and started throwing a little spook around the rock piles for some smallies.

First 5 mins. into it I popped this guy on a super spook jr.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Love that top water action.

I pulled one other smaller fish off of the same pile on a robo worm, then worked some more rocks for 3 more blow ups, but nothing else stuck.

Beautiful evening on the lake though. Didn't realize it till just then, but I've missed this scene a lot.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Next morning We all took the boat back in towards the inlet of the lake to try for some trout action. Found the fish hanging out in a small cove in the back and went to town on em for a while.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


We ended up pulling 9 small planters out of here a long with a few missed as well. Ran back to camp when the bite died off and moved camp into one of the camp sites after the crowd had taken off. I had two crawdad traps out the whole time I was here as well that camp up empty. People tell me they are in this lake, but I have ever yet to see one here.

I took off and headed home around 1800 since I had to work Monday morning. Fun over nighter on the lake I'll have to be sure to make another trip or two up here this summer.

Funniest moment for me, as I came by on the boat fishing for bass a camper asked me if I had any luck. I told him I got a few, but it was kinda slow. He told me "I've been here for 4 days and haven't caught a thing." Then is the saddest pouty voice said "I guess I'm gonna have to go to the dam and try to catch some small truck trout." I didn't respond back the that, but really? Your talking down on truck trout, but what do you expect to catch here in the cove that's right next to the dam? 18 inch hold overs? Yea I don't think so, all of these trout are truck trout man. Its not like they weren't there either Saturday night in the evening the trout were rising everywhere in the cove. Guy just baffled me talking like planter trout are some kind of trash fish.

Next time I'll hope to have more time to maybe target Mac's or Koke's out there and do some diving try to find out where the crawdads are in this lake.

Till Next Time
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment