Monday, September 2, 2013

Feather River 9/2/13

Found the time to run back up to the Feather for some more salmon action. Last time I came up here I hooked into a few fish, but wasn't able to land any, they all nearly spooled me. The fish here are fresh hard fighting fish plus fighting them in the fast current here is ridiculous. My third one I hooked into I decided to make the attempt to swim it down. Got tired of losing fish and I needed to land one to take home. Swam down but struggled in the current and the fish was riding close to shore. The fish ended up diving right into a tree and got stuck in there. I tried pulling the fish out for 10+ mins or so but it wasn't happening and the situation was getting pretty sketchy. Decided it wasn't worth it so I had to snap the fish off. Made the long walk of shame back up river without a fish. Fished the rest of the early afternoon for no other hook ups to add insult to injury. Finished that day around 1400 to make it back home in time for school.

Back today on the water just before 0800. Had a full plan today on chasing fish down river if I have to. I brought a life jacket out and wore it the whole time I was out there. Throughout the morning I hooked into 3 other fish that popped my hook and I should have jumped in for, but even though I was prepared for it, it still didn't seem like the greatest idea in the world. I held back at first and was hesitant to jump in and lost my first few. After the first 3 fish I lost I was determined. Got into my forth one, had him under control for a while, but sure enough he made that run down and he was not coming back up. Another fisherman was looking at me looking back and forth from the river and the bank, asked me "You going for a swim man?" Looked at it said I'm getting this fish so, "Sure am!" Hopped in and floated down. I was attempting to swim to the other side I land the fish there, but by the time I was almost to the other side I was so far down river there was a great bank on my side of the river so I swam back and got to shore, and by that time the fish was pretty worn out I got him to the bank pretty easily.

Put in my work for it and had a few guy's on shore thinking that I was a mad man for trying it, but I don't care. Got my fish and I'm not getting skunked today! Kept at it for a few more hours, but wasn't able to connect into another fish for my limit. I'm happy with just the one though.

Got back home and cleaned my fish up for the oven.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Came in around 18lbs roughly.

Put in some serious work for it, but hard work has its rewards! And I love me some salmon.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Went through a lot of rain on the way back, should be good news for better fishing to come.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark
Edit/Delete Message

No comments:

Post a Comment