Friday, April 18, 2014

Crappie Trolling, Camping 4/16-4/17

I got invited on a short over night camping trip with a friend of a friend and had the free time so I said why not lets go. Left Wednesday morning at 0630 to get there just after 0900. Lake was windy as ever so we took our time setting up camp and
play a few rounds of Bocci ball and disc golf to kill some time before the winds calmed down so I could get on the water. I brought the tin can and my friend Dustin told me before I came up it was an electric motor only lake so without my main motor its hard to fight the wind in my boat. Early afternoon the winds calmed down enough to get on the water. Started off trying to troll for trout, dragged flies and powerworms across the surface since I've been seeing what looked like trout jumping for the past couple of hours. Trolled about a half mile without a hit and I started getting closer to an area I wanted to bass fish so we pulled the lines in an switched gears.

This is one of the weirdest lakes I've been to, the entire area has very little trees and the lake it self has no vegetation at all in it and virtually has no cover in it what so ever for bass. With seeing that I figured I would just work points because that's the only thing fish out here can relate to. I started off throwing a shallow diving sexy shad crankbait, figured with the conditions I have covering a lot of water faster would be the way to go until I find something consistent. Adam tossed a custom made senko he put a 1/2 ounce jig head on and a small Colorado blade on the back of it, pretty cool looking bait actually. Second point we hit I was first to strike with a 3lber that I lost boat side. Next point Adam and I hit a short flurry sticking 3 shorts within 2 mins. No more wanted to play hear so we jetted for our next point.

The next point is maybe 100 yards away and I don't have my main motor on me so I could just jet over there real quick. The area is shallow enough while were headed over there we just tossed our lines out and trolled them over, you never know. Sure enough a 1/4 of the way there my crankbait gets hammered. Reeled him in expecting a largemouth I see a fat crappie with my crankbait down its mouth! This guy is about 13 inches long too. One of the biggest crappie I've ever caught. Ok, that was awesome lets keep going. Lines back out get moving again and same rod gets hammered and I pull a 14 inch crappie into the boat. Ok this is insane let's see, one's a fluke, two's a theory, hopefully three will be a pattern? Kept trolling and Adam's senko get nailed and he pulls in a PB crappie for himself. Got to the point I wanted to bass fish and said screw em. Turned around and trolled back through that lane again. Tied a small lipless crank on my trout rod and Adam down sized a smaller crankbait. Made 3 more passes for 3 more crappie landed and several lost with even more HNS. The entire time I though about casting an drifting jigs through em, but I wasn't about to stop a pattern that was working. Made our way back to camp afterwards to relay the news and get some food before I go back out for the evening bite.

Couple hours before sunset my friend Brian joins me in the tin can for this run. I tried running deeper and faster trolling Rapala's and spoons for trout again real quick, but nearly everywhere I tried I was dragging bottom trolling a dodger or my jet diver. I don't think I ever got into more then 15 ft of water. Gave up on that pretty quick and went to what I know was working. Trolled the same area with my crankbait and a pin minnow looking for the crappie again. Same school I was on moved off and wasn't home this time. Kept working the shore line till I found an area with several point and rocky shore different from the sand and mud everywhere else on the lake. Right before we pulled lines in to throw for bass we stuck a crappie on the crankbait. I gave Brian the crankbait hoping that would be my best bait wanting him to catch more fish since he isn't really a fisherman and doesn't do this much. I threw a jerkbait on and we worked the shoreline.

Anywhere with rocks and/or a point we were picking up fish, well I was anyways. The fish were loving the jerkbait and I was consistently getting fish from 1-3lbs. Brian wasn't getting any love on the crankbait but he was persistent to stick with it. Sun got lower and we started hitting shady shorelines and the second I saw that I tied a spook on to get my top water fix in. Seemed like the second I did that and when we got into our low light zones not only did I get plenty of action on the spook, but Brian started getting hits on his crank bait. Reaction baits on rocks or points was my pattern and we were working it good. Brian even managed to stick a 15 inch crappie casting the crankbait while we were working the shore.

Now that the sun is setting and the wind has calmed down I can see all of the fish that I've seen jumping over the past few hours. The whole day something about it didn't seem right to me and then I finally saw it, they are all carp. The lake is literally infested with them, You couldn't tell if it was windy or if its just carp cruising the surface doing their spawning thing. I'm not joking when I say I saw thousands of them, especially after the sun went down.

We stayed out till the very last bit of light slamming bass on points and catching crappie while trolling to each and everyone of them. Caught around 20+ bass and several crappie between the two of us before we headed in.

Next morning woke up nice and early to do it again. To finish the rotation off Dustin, the man who has introduced me to this lake, joined me for the morning session which he was sure to call dibs on. We threw spooks and frogs first thing getting plenty of hits on both. The second the sun hit the water though our top water party was over. I switched back to my jerkbait and Dustin tried working a fluke. Same pattern, same area still produced fish. As far as the bass went we never got anything huge, average size being about 1 1/2-2lbs biggest being about 3 and our crappie still ranged from 12-15 inches. I did see several other boat on the lake running on their main motors jumping up on plain shooting across the lake, Pretty sure I was fed mis information unless everyone out here is just disregarding the law. No matter though I was still doing great with what I had.

Headed back in to make up a feast of fried fish for lunch. On the way back Dustin some how managed to get two catfish trolling a F-7 Rainbow pattern Rapala trolling in the middle of the lake. I thought the crappie was weird, but now catching catfish on the troll? You could say this lake had me baffled. I know channels are aggressive enough to chase bait and hit plugs, but its not something I see everyday.

Our catch we kept for over the two days minus 7 other crappie that got cleaned prior to the photo.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I don't usually keep bass, but I tend to keep more fish when I'm camping. Really adds to the living off of the land aspect for me and providing for yourself. Plus I've been on a few trips where we either completely forgot to bring food or just don't have a lot and that's where being a decent fisherman saves your ass.

Got everything cleaned up for lunch and sat back and enjoyed the rest of the day.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Always great to have help with filleting fish out, especially when we have a good haul like this trip.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I did notice several of these fish has sores on them from lampreys, usually a dead give away that they exist in the lake. Be cool if I could find out how to trap them for sturgeon bait.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Had a fantastic trip to a new lake I've never been too. I'm sorry I don't normally hold out on any details from you guys, but this is a place I would rather not disclose the location and name of. A beautiful place that I know some people know about but it seemed like not many fisherman know much about. Only explanation to me on how these crappie get are so freaking big, because I didn't see much in the lake as far as bait goes. Besides in the campgrounds I didn't see a single piece of trash or even a foot print along the shoreline of the rest of the lake. Really refreshing change of pace. If your dying to know send me a message and maybe we can go back together some time.

PB crappie all around, good fishing in general, and just a great time with friends, can't ask for more. Sorry I didn't take more pictures I had to make sure my phone didn't die so I didn't have it on me while I was out in the boat.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment