Thursday, October 13, 2011

First Crack at Lake Amador

With the word out that Amador started stocking their legendary Cutbows I wanted to get out there and get my first few of the season. My good friend Mike is moving to Georgia in a few days, so I had to take him fishing with me one more time before he took off across the country. His first time to Amador, I promised him trout bigger then what he has caught up in sierra's with me before.

We got on the water around 1100, decided to take the boat out. I've still got a free boat use I won in the derby from last season so I put it to good use and saved a bit of $. Got on the water and first things first, I had to go and check out Jackson creek. There is nothing like fishing for those monster Cutbows in a small stream.

We get back there and man this time of year that water is low. Had to park the boat back a lot further then usual and walk in. Didn't see a lot of fish right off the bat, but these guys were everywhere!!!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I didn't really feel like swimming today or man it would have been easy pickings for a nice crawdad boil.

We keep looking and we find about 4 fish just at the mouth of the stream. They weren't real interested in biting at first, but we were persistent. Mike was trying for one fish that after 20 mins. of trying to get to bite ended up short striking his green crappie jig multiple times, but it never committed to it and Mike could never connect. I found one though that took me 15 mins. of trying for, but I ended up getting em.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

First Cutbow of the season baby! Got him on a white crappie jig.

After that there was nothing else there worth trying for so we took off. We did a short troll out of Jackson to the Spillway area of the lake. I trolled a kastmaster and Mike had a pin minnow on.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Half way across the lake my rod doubles over and I was thinking alright number 2 on the board for me! Then I get the fish closer and realize its a green carp!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not what I wanted, but still a cool catch. This has happened to me so much this year. Catching bass while trolling for trout in the middle of the lake, and it still blows my mind. Never in my life would I be looking for bass on the surface of the lake in 50ft of water, but hey it still puts a bend in the rod get the blood pumping.

We troll the rest of the way for nothing. Once we reach the north bank I pull the trolling rods in and we just scan the banks for cruising fish. I stick with my jig and Mike tries a Gold Kastmaster. I find a cove with fish jumping everywhere in it. I just needed to get within casting distance. Before I knew it I had the boat on top of a school of about 50 fish. I drop my jig right in the middle of them, and not one even takes a second look. Mike throws his Kastmaster through them and gets a few chasers. We keep casting and not to long into it Mike hooks up with his first Amador Cutbow.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He really didn't want to hold the fish, so I held it for him.

Mike kept getting followers and short strikes here and there, so to fix my problem instead of switching lures I decided to change colors. I switched from white to red and white. A color I normally use when the water is a bit more stained. Sure enough though we get back on the school and I start getting fish.

We continued throughout the day scanning the whole north bank of the lake looking for schools and chasing them when we found them. Mike switched over to a green jig and started getting more bites. Most fish actually had lock jaw on us, but we found the ones that wanted to bite.

Got off of the water by 1730 with our limit.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Carnage

Not the biggest fish Amador has to offer, but man it was awesome to get back to that lake and do my UL sight fishing. Hopefully there will be more and bigger fish to come.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment