Monday, September 17, 2012

Walnut Grove Salmon 9/16/12

Had plans to fish with Garrett in the morning, but with Performing at a Sac State Football game the day before I was exhausted and was not waking up early in the morning, so I had to flake on him. After I woke up Garrett told me that he wanted to check out Walnut Grove since BigK did pretty well out there and it was a mid afternoon bite just to fish the incoming tide. Since it was his birthday and I already flaked on him once I couldn't say no. Got everything together and headed out there door. Got to Wimpy's around 1230 and headed over to the Sac to join the fleet and see what we could pull up. Lots and lots of boats on the water today. Must have been fishing the same area with close to 50 other trollers. Cool thing was though every boat we talked to all except one had at least a fish if not two, so chances were looking pretty good.

Trolled down stream way past Walnut Grove with Silvertrons, was further down river then most of the fleet. We saw one boat hook up on the other side of the river across from us and land a fish, Then shortly after Garrett's rod gets hammered, but it didn't stick. Trolled a little further down and tried going back up river. For some reason I decided to switch over to a kwikfish and try that. Trolled all the way back up seeing boats with fish passing us. Garrett was beating himself up over his fish that didn't stick, then as we were talking about it my rod double's over and I'm hooked up. Maybe 2 seconds after I hooked up a boater next to us hooked up as well. Pretty awesome to see.

Fish fought like a champ for the condition it was in.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Got this girl in and man she looks like she got hit by something, but she is still chrome and gorgeous. Got her on the K-14 Kwikfish silver/chartuse lathered in sardine scent.

We trolled on hoping we could hit one more in the same school, then a couple mins. later Garrett's rod goes off again. Excited we were gonna get a second salmon in the boat, we were slightly disappointed to see this guy on the end of the line.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


But man it actually is a really nice Smallie.

We kept at it till about 1730, then I had to get going and the battery for my trolling motor was dieing anyways so it was time to go.

First time fishing the area I have to say I'm impressed. The amount of fish caught I saw to fisherman ratio was pretty impressive, and I watched about half a dozen fish get landed around me. There is defiantly a good school moving through the area here. I'll be back for sure.

On a side note I never got around to writing the report. Just a quickie, Thursday 9/13/12 I met some friends at Miller Park who have been fishing that these past few weeks. They told me that with the early morning incoming tides going on it would be a good time to come out. Fished from 0600-0900 and saw 6 fish caught and at least 2 lost that I know of and one that was foul hooked out of 40 something guys. I wasn't lucky enough to hook up but my friend Bing was.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Fish are being caught here as well, but the ratio to fish caught to fisherman isn't all that great. Plus its combat fishing at its best, so I'll probably stay away from this area.

Felt great to get some more salmon blood in the boat. Learned a new area to fish and I'll defiantly be getting out more.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment