Saturday, September 1, 2012

Carson Limit 9/1/12

Was up in Tahoe celebrating my birthday with my friend Zach and since I was up there I couldn't help stopping by the Carson on the way home. I was hoping that the area would be stocked for the holiday weekend, but when I looked at the dfg planting list it didn't look that way. Oh well though I was gonna check it out regardless. First stop was the 89/88 bridge. I looked down, saw a few fish pushing 4lbs, one might have been 6. That's worth trying for. Ran down, threw my jigs and some salmon eggs for a while, but not surprisingly I couldn't get them to bite. I saw some kids catching some mountain white fish on worms or something I couldn't tell what they were using, but that was the only action going on over here. Decided these fish weren't worth wasting my time on since they have been too pressured. Move slightly down river to try a different area and see if I could find some biting fish.

Stopped at what I believe is known at the handicapped bridge now for one white fish I hooked on salmon eggs. Not skunked, but a white fish is not really gonna make me happy for the day. Moved on further down to the 88 bridge, and saw some fish there hanging out under the bridge. I tossed some salmon eggs around, but no body here wanted them. Tied my jig back on and immediately started getting some interest. Got a lot of fish coming right up to it, but not hitting it so I grabbed some shad scent threw it on there and my very next cast I got slammed. Set the hook fish on! and fish off. Kept at it here for about an hour. Ended up losing 4 more until I finally landed this guy.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Even with a barbless hooked lure he some how managed to get the hook lodged in his gills and ended up bleeding. Oh well fish dinner for Mark tonight. Kept trying here for a while longer, but the fish caught on to me and went off of the bite. Time to hit the road again.

Moving on down I stopped at the hope valley camp ground area. Didn't see much but I saw a little bit of surface activity so I knew there were some fish in the area. Laid down low made sure the fish didn't see me or my shadow, crawled up to the bank side since I know these fish get spooked easily. Threw my jig in and first cast got rewarded with another bow.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


Small streams I have come to learn, the two most important things to keep in mind is stealth and making sure you have a good first cast. If there are fish in a pool and you get a perfect cast in there without the fish seeing you your guaranteed a hook up. Tried a bit longer with the jig, got a few more short taps, but didn't get any more good hits on it that I could get a good hook set on. Lets try the salmon eggs again.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Best brand thats out there can't beat it man. Tossed the eggs in just free lining em and I caught two more in no time. After that though the fish caught on to me again and went off of the bite, really? Need one more fish for my limit and your gonna shut off on me now. All part of the challenge though. Walked up river to try the next pool. Crawled up behind a bush made a cast behind cover and sure enough not even a second after the eggs hit the water a fish came out of no where and slammed it.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Fish number 5 baby! and its even a cut throat. Been a while since I've caught one of these guys. Happy with my 5 I packed up and hit the road again on the course for home. Had to make a couple of stops on the way though.

Decided to stop at the spill way of Caples just to see what was going on.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Saw a few people fishing in the area enjoying their holiday weekend.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Asked around, no one had caught anything, just missed a few bites. I saw a couple of dfg planters swimming around after watching the water for about 10 mins. Good enough for me moving on again.

Had my trumpet with me from band practice the day before so I thought I stop at the top of the mountain and play for a bit.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x1024.


My only other serious passion I have besides fishing.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The valley I played over.

Playing up here is really cool cause there is a pretty cool echo when there aren't cars driving by messing up the sound. Played until I couldn't breath anymore from the elevation and rolled down the hill.

Stopped at Silver to see what was going on here.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


When the heck did you have to start paying for parking at Silver?!?! I never remembered this being here. Stopped to take a quick pic of the lake.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Didn't see anyone fishing or any signs of active fish in the area and moved on. Finished my little adventure there, almost stopped at lower bear on the way home too, but at that point I kinda just wanted to go home. Continued my track down the mountain on my long car ride home. Glad I got to fish the area for a bit and was able to catch some fish. It wasn't really easy getting them, but that's what makes it more rewarding. Actually had a blast running solo up here and just slowing down and working hard for my fish.

I kinda stopped coming up this way when it started getting more and more pressured from public fishing boards, which is really sad when I think about it because its on these waters where I really learned how to fish and got my passion for the sport, but I still like coming up when I can thinking about how awesome this place was and still is for that matter. I'll be sure to make at least more more trip in the fall to see all of the seasonal colors of the area. It sure is one beautiful place that time of year, heck it is year round what the heck am I talking about.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment