Thursday, January 31, 2013

American River & Cache

Don't want to write two separate reports so I'll combine two here.

I've been hitting the American a time or two each week now trying to get a few more steelies. My friend steven and I have made 5 or so trips now up to the hatchery mostly throwing spoons.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 720x960.


Out of 5 trips I managed to foul hook a salmon, Steven missed a hit, and I'm pretty sure I foul hooked a steelie too that popped off after 2 seconds. I decided in that many trips we should have had caught atleast one more fish. Fish are here, but they are just to pressured from the crowds in my opinion.

1/28/13
I decided to try my riffle I know below Rossmoor, since the hatchery hasn't been treating me all that well. Steven had school so I was running solo. Got to my spot and started tossing my cleo. 5 mins after being there I saw one swim right past my feet, at least I knew they were here. Took a closer look and I saw a few more holding pretty much right in front of me. I reeled that spoon right across all of their faces and had a few turn on it, but couldn't get one to hit. 30 mins into that I accidently foul hooked one and spooked a few of em off. That fish popped off of course, luckily there was still a couple fish hanging around though. I kept at the spoon for a while longer and I had one fish swipe at the spoon and barely tap it, but he didn't really grab hold of it for my to be able to stick him.

Finally decided to switch over to beads, and first cast and hooked into a nice one. I managed to get he fish to the bank and I was able to see it was about a 8lb wild hen. Since I knew it was wild I didn't want to drag her up on the rocks and bash her up, so I left it in the water and when I went to reach to and grab her for a quick picture my hooked popped and she took off. Kinda bummed about not being able to get a pic, but as far as I'm concerned that's a caught fish! Right on

I try a few hours longer for two more hook ups that came unbuttoned a second or two after I stuck em. Good recon today and finally had some decent consistent action.

Today 1/29/13
Mikey hooked me up with some rod balancers for my boat and I have been dieing to try them out. Took the boat back out to Cache for another sturgeon hunt. On the water around 0800 and I ran back to the area's where I marked fish last time I came out. Ran all up and down Cache though and I didn't mark fish anywhere! I ran around for a while without seeing anything. Made my way up into Prospect and finally started consistently marking fish. Dropped down roe/eel and shad today. Popped a cold one and waited for that bite.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


On a quick side note I found this video on youtube the other day, thought it was pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSN7JVg1yQ

The rod balancers fit perfectly in the boat thanks again Mike!!!



I tried here for 45 mins, and a few other spots for the same amount of time or longer for only one quick nibble on roe and one on shad.

With the lack of bites and everything I just kind of had a bad mojo feeling and decided to call it a day and head back in to have some free time before I have school. Good call two because on my way back the wind really kicked up and the water was starting to get pretty choppy. Nothing I couldn't handle, but I'm glad I got my little boat back before it got any worse. Off of the water by 1200. Gave it a good try, hopefully the fish will want to play next time.

Till then guys.
Mark
Edit/Delete Message

No comments:

Post a Comment