Saturday, January 19, 2013

First Sturgeon Excursion

Alright so many of you know I've had an itch to get my first legal Sturgeon lately. Its just been something I've been wanting to add to my list of species. Debated on going out today to either the Sac or Cache. I knew I would have a better chance at getting into a fish at Cache, but it can be sketchy going out there in my small tin can. I watched the weather and all of the conditions for a few days before and saw that it was going to be a nice calm day so I went. Slept in a bit and launched from Vierra's around 1000. Armed with Pile, Ghost, Eel, and Roe I'm ready. Running solo today, Sturgeon is still really new to me and I like going solo when I'm doing something new. It allows me to experiment a little more and I can act more freely on gut instinct. Plus going solo in my boat I can get my boat going at 20 mph! Haha

Got into Cache and I noticed a group of a half dozen boats all anchored together, as I passed by I saw one boater net a lower slot sized or just short fish. I usually try not to follow crowds, but I figured if I stuck close-ish to the rest of the fleet I can't go too wrong, plus I can learn more from watching other guys. Ran up above the crowd to stay out of everyone's way and give me a good view on whats going on with everyone else. I started with Pile and Ghost and started getting a few taps on Pile, but no serious pull downs. Gave it an hour and then made a quick move, saw another boat fighting what looked like an over sized too me. They later came over and anchored right next to me and said it was 56 inches. I saw they were throwing Ghost as well.

20 mins. into my second spot my Pile worm gets nailed and I swung hard on it. Hooked up, but didn't have the weight of a Sturgeon behind it, got him boat side and saw the most screwed up striper I've ever seen in my life.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


It was all healed up so it wasn't from anything recent, but idk if this fish lost an eye in a fight with something or maybe poor C&R. I had to crack up with the hook placement though. Tacos tonight!

Skunk off got that monkey off my back now time for the target fish. The hardest things I used to have in my boat sitting on anchor was just comfort, but today I thought I'd bring out a lawn chair use up all the space in my boat since I have it and I was pretty freaking comfy all day out there.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Great beautiful day on the water. Gave this spot another hour without a bite so I picked up and made another move. Kept working my way up river trying to find some fish away from the crowds. I marked fish everywhere for the most part, but with the outgo going strong my anchor kept slipping and whenever I got it to hold 12 ounces of lead was barely staying on the bottom. Did I ever mention that I hate the outgo? Like seriously with a burning passion. For the next hour I tried several spots just frustrated with the tide thinking I missed my window opportunity and was thinking I might just head back and fish the sac near Isleton. I had a feeling though that things might get better if i kept going up though so I ventured further and found a whole other fleet of boats. Didn't seen anyone fighting anything, but I ran up above them and saw a lot of arch's on the FF so I thought what the hell lets try. Current was just slow enough my anchor held, so I dropped in both lines set up my chair and sat down. I grabbed one of my rods to set it a little closer to me and right as I picked it up it got hammered! Haven't even been here a minute and I'm hooked up! That's what I'm talking about.

Knew this one was my Stug, he didn't feel huge but they still put up a hell of a fight. Got him boat side, and of course no net, can't use snares anymore (not like I have one anyways), and I forgot my gloves at the truck. Damn, well hopefully he wont tear me up too much. Tailed that fish and pulled him in the boat as carefully as quickly as I could and I got my Sturgeon!!!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Oh yea I also forgot my tape measure at the truck as well. I am guessing this guy around 30 inches though. He may only be a shaker, not even my PB, but I've never felt so accomplished. My first Sturgeon in my boat and my first successful sturgeon outing as a Captain. I've caught a few before, but never by myself, so this was a successful moment for me.

Running off of that high I stuck this area out for 2 more hours hoping for a chance at that keeper.

Snacking on some smoked trout via New Melones to help pass time.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


It still looks pretty fishy down there.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The rest of the weekend fleet.

Nothing else was happening here though. I didn't even see anyone else hook up. I made two more moves until I decided to call it a day. Got back to the ramp around 1630. I talked to few fisherman back at the launch and they all said they had a shaker, but didn't see any slot sized fish get pulled up.

Freaking fantastic day on the water and I'm very excited for my next outing. Can't wait for that keeper.

Got my fish today on roe/eel btw.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment