Wednesday, January 23, 2013

American Steel 1/22-1/23

Plan was to go back out for Sturgeon Tuesday, but plans changed and that didn't work out. I told myself I wasn't going to buy a Steelhead card this year because I usually only go 3 or 4 times a year I didn't think it was worth it, but I found myself in Rancho with nothing to do so I caved in a got it. My friend Steven who I took fishing twice last year really loves the sport so he got his fishing license this year and I hit him up to come on out with me. Got on the water around 1200 at the hatchery. Plenty of fisherman out today, found a spot between em and tried throwing beads for a while. Saw tons of fish swimming by and there were some hogs in the ladder so my hopes were high. We tried for a couple hours though without hooking into anything besides a few snags.

Steven did manage to pull up some dead line with a silver and orange Little Cleo on it, pretty nice score. Figured why not, had Steven tie it on and give it a shot. He had a few followers come real close to it, but they never hit it. Moved on down to try another area with a little less crowds. After two hours there we still had no luck.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 720x960.


We fished until 1600 saw maybe 5 or so fish get caught around us. Not as many as I would have expected to see with the amount of fish and fisherman out there, but that's how things work out sometimes.

Today Wednesday I don't start work until 1400 so I figured I could give it another quick shot before I had to go and punch in. On the water today around 1000. A little less crowded today which is always nice. Took a spot that I saw a guys doing pretty good at the day before. Started with beads again, hoping to get at least one hook up. Gave it a couple solid hours of trying for still nothing. Saw a few fish get landed around me, but still no crazy action happening. I started seeing a few fish cruising right at my feet next to the bank, so I figured I'd try the spoon to really work the shore line and try to entice a bite that way. After about 20 mins. of tossing that, my spoon stopped dead literally inches off of the bank. Not feeling like a normal rock I slammed that hook had a fish on!

Fish was heavy as heck on my 7ft bass rod I decided to keep this Cleo on. I immediately regretted that decision about 2 seconds into the fight when this fish wanted to show me his power by going on a 50 yard run straight down river. I wasn't really worried about my line snapping, but I didn't think I was going to be able to pull him
back up the rapids with the lighter rod. I didn't do anything except hold on and did a lot of praying for the first 4 mins of the fight before I got on turn of the reel on him. After a while of keeping pressure on him though I was slowly able to pump him back up the river towards me and after roughly a long 10 min. fight I beach him and got my first steel head of 2013.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Didn't have a scale and I forgot to measure him so lets guess him at close to 10lbs and roughly 30 inches or so. First steelie I've ever gotten on a Cleo too which was awesome.

Kept fishing for a while longer, but I have to admit my arm was sore as heck, I didn't know what I would have done if I hooked another. Stayed until 1230 before I left for work.

I've never been a big fan of steelies, but if days like this come around every now and then I can defiantly learn to love it.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment