Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Steel Head Cherry Popped

Got off work early today and asked Steven if he wanted to brave the weather and try for steelies again. He said he was game so we ran down to the honey hole to try our luck. Walked up to the river around 1300 and immediately saw a few fish in the area as usual. I told Steven first one to land a fish wins. 30 mins into it Steven hooks into a fish, but after the better part of a minute the fish popped off. Part of the game, we kept at it for a while and I managed to hook up a few times myself, but couldn't get anything to stay hooked. I noticed Steven was a lot more into it today and has been learning a lot especially after losing one last time I brought him out and just a bit ago.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


He was on a couple of fish that he managed to hook into and lose a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLo2Nzb1v0

I knew it was going to happen though, so I eventually just put my
rod down and tried capturing this on video and I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p981jpnRjoU

Through the rain, wind, and hail! he managed to finally land his first steel head ever. After weeks of coming with me trying to learn he finally got one. Even though it was foul hooked and a wild fish, it didn't matter it was all fun and a hell of an experience. I'm glad I got to witness him get his fish.

When I stopped the video to take a still pic of Steven with his fish his hands were so numb and cold he couldn't hang on to the fish and it flopped out of his hands and back into the river it went.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Still got a funny picture out of it though. Tried fishing through the rest of the weather, but it was a tough cold afternoon though. Later I did managed to stick a fish pretty good though and I handed the rod off to Steven, hopefully we can get him a keeper this time.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576.


Little longer fight, but we got this one in and its a legal fish.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Tough day in the weather, but well worth it and it was a blast getting Steven on his first steelie. I've said it before and I'll say it again I have some serious respect for him for having the patience to learn how to fish by fishing for steel head with me.

We'll be back at it again next week, planning on a sturgeon trip next. Hopefully I can finally get my keeper.

Till then guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment