Tuesday, February 26, 2013

American River Steelies

Ever since
Steven caught his first fish he has been asking me every day, mark when we going back out? You free tomorrow? We going fishing? Sunday 2/24/13 he talked me into trying to wake up early and give it a shot before work. I dropped the ball and instead of waking up at 0600 I woke up around 0930. Opps, quickly got everything together and picked up steven to check things out real quick before I had to go into work. Long story short though we walked down to the honey hole and didn't see a single fish anywhere. None in our usual spots none jumping no nothing it was dead. Glad I didn't wake up for that. Fished for 30 mins anyways for nothing. Can't catch em all the time.

Monday 2/25/13 He convinced me to wake up early again to try and get out there. Got on the water around 0700 and same thing no fish to be seen. We did see a few jumping, but none within casting range for us. These fish are either not here in the mornings or there just aren't any fish here right now. Fished for 30 mins. and decided since we had time we would check out there hatchery. Fished there for 2 hours and out of 20+ guys I saw two fish get landed and 3 others get lost. Seemed pretty slow to me. I never managed to get anything.

Tuesday 2/26/13 I have been talking to Michael (bankcaster) for a couple of weeks now trying to hook up with him, but its been hard with our schedules not working with eachother's. Finally got him to come out and meet me and Steven though after I got off of work around 1200. I told him how terrible our last two mornings went, but we were hopeful. As we walked up to the water Steven saw several fish hanging out in the area and it was game on. Steven and I raced over to the water real quick to try and get the first hook up. Steven was actually the first to hook up, but it popped off pretty quickly after the hookset. About my 3rd cast in I hooked into one and landed my first fish of the day. Solid 28 inch buck on the darker side. Completely forgot to take a picture of my fish sorry.

Shortly after Mike came down and hooked into his first steelie.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


A beat up wild buck, but still a fish. Everyone has hooked up already and we've only been here maybe 10 mins, that's awesome. Steven managed to farm a couple more and I lost one on the fly. After about 30 mins of us being there the fish moved off though. They would circle back in small schools or maybe a single fish would come by, but they picked up on us quick today.

With not seeing many more fish Steven walked a little further down river to try and find some more action. Heard him scream once and he broke off on a fish, bummer. He came back to re-tie then headed back down. 15 mins later I hear him screaming again and I walked down to check on him and he has a fish on the bank. Was thinking WTG Steven!!! Then I saw his fish.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Steven's first sucker! Nasty ass fish. Either way though a catch is a catch and these guys can still put up a fight.

Maybe an hour later Mike took off to take care of some stuff he had to do with the rest of his day. Was great meeting you and fishing with you Mike we'll do it again sometime soon. As he was walking up the hill I hooked up again and landed a smaller buck and got my limit.

After I landed my fish I saw there was another fish hanging in the area so I walked down to check on Steven and let him know a few fish moved back into our hole. As I walked down there I saw him with some bendo in his rod and he was fighting a fish!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


But it turned out to be another sucker. Still cool to get something though. Steven moved back up to our usual spot and tried for the steelies we could see in our usual spots. After about 30 mins of trying that and losing two more fish he hooks into and lands his 3rd fish of the day and his second steelhead ever.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Very pretty little fish.

Couldn't argue with it though now he has caught 3 fish for the day to my two, even if the first two were suckers. Steven tried for another 30 mins for his second steelie, but it didn't happen. Still an awesome beautiful (windy) day on the water. Seems like the run is tapering off though, I don't know much about steelies yet, but I think its coming to an end. Shad season better get here quick I know its right around the corner.

Till Next Time Guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment