Thursday, March 28, 2013

Dirty D 3/27/13

Went out to the delta to do some bait fishing in high hopes at another chance for Mr. Sturg. Brought out my buddy Nikolay and Steven today. Nikolay had a few honey holes he wanted to try and show me. Started off the day in decker catching dinks and diaper stripers all on sardines and grass.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


We worked a couple spots in the area for a bunch of dinks one keeper at 18 1/4 inches, and saw one over sized dino roll.

I had roe/eel soaking the whole time we were out, but it never got touched. Steven and Nik were loving the constant action from the dink's, but I told them this is not what I came for and once they got their fill I wanted to run up to Cache for a better chance at my sturgeon.

Ran up during the slack and tried a couple spots on the way. Got a few catfish right above steamboat.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Putting fish in the boat either way its still a good day on the water.

Got up to cache and found a shelf holding fish. Took us 5 attempts to catch with the anchor though. I'm going to have to get a bigger anchor for my boat cause this one barely worked. We did finally catch though and when we did we all just had a really good mojo feeling going on. Back when we were at Decker Nikolay convinced me that circle hooks were the way to go with the stripers so I had one on with my sardine, but I remember looking at it before I casted it out I thought that it is was too small if a sturgeon hits this. Its a sardine though I'll probably only get catfish or stripers on it. I know better, 20 mins into it my sardines gets pumped and pumped hard. I picked up the rod and had a nice fish on. Wasn't huge, but it felt like a shaker sturgeon. 30 seconds into it though my hook pops and fish off. Kept looking back at it and I knew it was the hook that was the problem so I switched that out and went back to my 8/0.

Steven and Nik were loving giving me a hard time about how I just missed probably my only chance today at my sturgeon. I took my beating especially since I knew better, luck was on my side today though cause another 20 mins later the same rod on the sardine goes off again. Rod just doubled over and I picked it up and swung for the fences. I've fought a few undersized sturgeon now and a lot of big salmon in my life, but the weight on this fish was like nothing I had ever felt before. I've never caught a slot sized fish before so idk if it was an upper slot sized fish or an over sized, but it was without a doubt the biggest fish I've ever had on the end of a line before.

That fish stuck to the bottom and I tried working him up, but he wasn't budging. Finally he came up but took off on a 30-40 yard run. Gained back a few yards on him then the unthinkable happened. My 50lb main line braid snapped clean cut!!! My big moment I have been dreaming off for idk how long finally came true, but ended in a second. I'm normally not a person to get too upset over anything, but man I was so heated. Kept at it for another hour here, Nikolay got one good pump on grass that he was sleeping on and my roe got nibbled good once, but that was it. Saw a few roll while we were here too.

My friend Steven got a recording of the depressing moment on his phone I'll post up in a couple days when he gets it uploaded.

Moved on and worked a couple more areas for only nibbles and small stripers. Ended the day around 1930. Fun, but most depressing day on the water I've had ever. Already looking to see when I can go back out to get another shot at that sturgeon. Idk if I should upgrade to 80lb braid or if I just need a longer leader? Think the fish might have rolled on me and cut the braid on one of his scoots. Only way I can think that braid would have cut so cleanly like that. Hopefully it will work out next time.

Off to the Moke now will report back when I get back.

Till then guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment