Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2 Days at the Port

Tuesday my dad and I got out to the port to try for some stripers. We go out and launch the pontoon and troll our swimbaits. I stuck with classic white and my dad was trolling a green gliter color. With the warmer weather I was hoping for some better action. Water was warmer but water was still a little cold (56 degrees), and the water clarity was just horrible.

2 mins. into the troll my dad missed a quick hit. It was quiet and slow after that. Launching from the parking lot off of Jefferson we troll all the way past the bridge and further to look for more fish. After passing the bridge my dad hooks up with a little shaker. Nothing special or big, looking for something a little better still. I miss a quick hit shortly after. We troll along another 100 yards or shoreline and just can't really get a good bite going on. The water clarity was just really screwing with us. My dad did manage one more shaker on the way back, but nothing after that.

We decided to try for some bass for a little bit, throwing crankbaits and plastics, also didn't have any luck. Decided to call it a day from there.



Today with some time between my classes I decided to go out there again solo just off of the bank. I walked along the bank looking for a nice spot with some shade. I get a nice spot and throw out a cut anchovie while I toss a swimbait with my other rod. I get a few quick taps on the chovie but nothing hit real hard for me to get a hookset on. I swung at one, but just barely missed the bite.

I throw swimbaits, rattle traps, and just for the heck of it a few of my assorted top water lures, just to mess around. After not getting a thing to hit a lure I put a jig on and just practice pitching since its a new concept for me. After I got tired of that I put another cut chovie on that rod and was fishing double bait. Not long after it hit the water it doubled over and I slammed the hook on it.

Got my skunk off with this small shaker.





Needless to say this was the only fish I caught before I had to go back to class. Not bad for a short afternoon. I'll be back 2maro looking for a keeper!.

Till Then
Mark




No comments:

Post a Comment