Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sacramento Port, whats that?

I took Deni out today to try and troll for some stripers at the port off of the pontoon. We launch around 1100 and try to get something to bite. I explain to Deni on how to set the hook and as I am she gets a quick tap. Nothing that she could do anything about though.

Another hour goes by and I look at Deni's rod and I see it going, . . . . tap tap tap . . . tap tap tap. I asked her if she was getting a bite and she said I don't know, so I told her set the hook! she did and sure enough a
fish was on! Deni was gonna get her first striper! . . . . and then . . . . it jumped and spat the hook, dang. She just didn't get a good hookset on the fish. She was doing kind of a whimpy hookset and I told her she could swing it like a bat when she gets a hit. She'll get used to it.

We turn around to pass by the same spot and sure enough right as we go by it Deni gets another hit. BAM! she sets the hook, not even hesitating on that one. She gets it in and Deni gets her first striper!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We make a few more passes in the same area and I finally get one for myself.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As were passing by Deni gets a few more hits, but just misses the hooksets. As were trolling along I see a fish floating on top of the water. All I can see is white, I thought it was some shaker striper that had just killed over. I look closer though and I look . . . thats not a striper, thats a . . . is it?!?!?!? omg it is!!!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its an American Shad!!! and damn this poor guy is jacked up. I can see why he was floating on the surface. He was barely alive when I found him. Judging from all of the bruises and cuts on him I'm sure a big striper nailed him. This shows me that they are indeed in the system and shad season is near! I can't wait.

We didn't get anymore fish, but it was great day. Looking forward to another great trip.

Till next time
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment