Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sacramento Port 3/13/11

Today I decided to take the pontoon out to the Port to try for some Striper action. My friend Ethan came with me today to help me rip some lips. We set up the toon and start trolling by 1100. A late start I know but when I picked up Ethan I realized I forgot my license at home so I had to run back for that putting a big detour in our route.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Pontoon

We slow trolled white swimbaits on 1/2 ounce jig heads with pro cure Threadfin Shad scent. I also brought my
fly rod just for the heck of it and tried trolling a white and blue clouser minnow. After a few minutes I stick my first fish and get the skunk off.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A small shaker but its a fish. Stuck him on the swimbait.

We troll further down to try and do some bass fishing. We come up on out spot and we throw crank/jerk baits, senkos, and brush hogs for one bite each, but they didn't connect. We tried for an hour for nothing else so we decided to go back on the troll for some stripers. Trolling back along the bank in about 18ft of water I stick a smaller shaker.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shortly after I get a better bite and I'm hoping it is a nicer fish. It was and was a bit of a suprise.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My first bass of 2011!!!

A great suprise and a great catch. Poor Ethan was getting some short strikes and lost a couple of fish, but couldn't land any. He was getting pretty frusterated, but I had faith in him. Further along I stick another one and finally get my legal striper.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We pass this spot several more times both of us getting short strikes and taps. I hook up again and immediatly my drag starts singing. I can feel this is a much bigger fish and my heart is pumping. Right there though my hook popped and the fish was gone. The big one got away ='(

Afterwards Ethan finally lands a fish for himself.


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cute little shaker for him.

We make a few more passes for a few taps, but nothing else. My boat battery starts dieing and we came in and decided to call it a day. We were off of the water by 1500 and just in time too. As we were packing up the rain started coming down. Not very super hard, but neither of us had a rain gear on us and wanted to deal with it.

Great day on the water, all fish came on white swimbaits. Water temp was 57 on average today. Just a little bit warmer and the bass should be hitting.

Till next time guys
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment